1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

oscars

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by chris5302, Apr 25, 2004.

1. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

hi i just got 2 oscars and wondering if it was self to put a tiger oscar in with a red oscar

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

oh yea, color makes no difference to them. they will hopefully get along great if they are around the same size and have a big enough tank to be in.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Whether two oscars will get along or not has nothing to do with their color. It mostly depends on the individual personalities of the fish. But also keep in mind that tank size also plays a roll. If you have 2 oscars that aren't a breeding pair, chances are you're going to need about 100 gallons or else they'll get territorial and try to kill eachother as the mature. Breeding pairs of oscars tend to get along better and for the most part share the same territory so you can actually get by with 75 gallons.

-Chelle

4. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

:y_the_best: they tiny and get along just fine well besides the tiger oscar he hides when i walk up does anybody nows he does that :cry:

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

He's probably just sulking because of the new environment. He should perk up in a few days.

How large is your tank? Keep in mind that right now they are just babies so it's not surprising that they get along. But as they mature, it could all change.

-Chelle

6. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

well right now there in a ten gallon with cichlid and a divider but in like a week im moving them it a ten gellon alone after its done cycling ( i got gold fish in there common gold fish) put coming my bithday im geting a bigger one tank that is ( im 14 years old)

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I hope you can get a bigger tank (at least 75 gallons) within the next month. Oscars grow about 1"/month. By the time your oscars are about 2" - 3", a 10 gallon simply will not be able to handle their bioload. Your water quality will rapidly deteriorate causing the fish to be poisoned by their own waste and they could die. You would have to do water changes at least 3 times a week just to keep the water quality close to safe.

I know you don't want to hear this, but if you can't get a bigger tank within the next month, you really should return the oscars. It would be a lot better than letting them get poisoned to death.

-Chelle

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm also curious. What other type of cichlid is in the 10 gallon with the oscars? Because there are very few few cichlids that can live in a 10 gallon so chances are you're going to need a larger tank for it as well.

-Chelle

9. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

they anly get 3 inch trust me i now becuase i had them befor but i dont remmber the name of them

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Are they african cichlids?

Cichlids don't fall under the 1" / gallon rule. Yellow labs only get 3" - 4" and the bare minimum tank size for just one of them is 20 gallons. Just about the only cichlids you could even come close to being able to house in a 10 gallon is a dwarf cichlid or maybe a couple shell dwellers. But even those would be pushing it.

I hate to sound so harsh, but I think you're going to start running into some major problems (and possibly dying fish) in about a month if you don't get bigger tanks ASAP.

-Chelle

11. J_acon

J_acon New Member

:? What rules apply to the Cichilds if not the 1" per gallon doesn't? I am thinking of making an African Malawi Cichilds tank i am in the gathering all info i can on them. Got inspired by your beautiful fry t_chelle16 :lol:

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

With cichlids there's really no set rule/formula that covers them all. The best thing would be to look at a bunch of different sites that list requirements for different fish and compare the recomended tank sizes. There will probably be some variation, but you should be able to figure out what the average recommended size is.

With africans, you can actually overstock a little (assuming you have enough filtration and watch your water parameters) to help keep down aggression. For Malawi cichlids that get 4" or 5" in a 55 gallon tank (I believe that's what you said you had), I would go with about 7 - 10.

-Chelle

13. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

once i do get an oscar would i be able to get like a alge eater to help keep the tank clean?

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes. Most people keep common plecos with oscars. But keep in mind that plecos are incredibly messy fish so you'll have to be really religious about your weekly water changes.

-Chelle