1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Our Pittbull has Allergies

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by marmie, Aug 16, 2004.

1. marmie

marmie New Member

color=darkblue]Our Pitt named Harry is having some sort of allergic reaction for the past few months. Our vet gave him steroids which helped but steroids are not for long use.

We have tried Benadryl and Claritin but he still has a itchy rash. I've washed the bedding and have even stopped letting him lay on the grass. His rash is still a bad as ever.

Can anyone tell me what it might be and/or if there is something else I should try?

We rescued Harry in November 2003 and he was fine up until May and then we went on vacation in July for a week and he was left with the dog trainer we adopeted him from and the rash went away. After being back with us for a few days it started back up.

Harry is a vegitarian and the trainer said he used the same food we used but who really knows. Harry has been on the same food with us since day one and he was fine from November through April.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Laurie[/color]

2. Angie

Angie New Member

You washed the bedding? Did you change your washing detergernt? I get an allergic reaction when I use a different kind, maybe that could be it?

Do you use any kind of carpet freshner?

3. marmie

marmie New Member

Pitbull Allergies

I thought of that as well so I'm washing his bedding in detergent for infants thinking it will have the least reaction if any.

Yes, I used All Fabric Freshener (like Fabreeze) and have since stopped using it.

Thank you for the reply

4. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

This may be way off, but it's worth mentioning - my in-laws used to have a Keeshoud (spelling?) that had allergies to flea saliva. When they lived in Arizona, they didn't have any problems, but as soon as they moved to the South, they had horrible problems (not sure exactly what symptoms he exhibited). So, is the dog trainer in the same area as you, or is he in a different area/climate? Also, how old is he? Some things like this don't show up until adulthood. Why is he a vegitarian? Even if he's been on the same food since day 1, the food still may be the problem? Not trying to tell you how to raise your dog, but canines are meat eaters - plain and simple. It seems backwards to have him on a vegitarian diet. Again, not trying to tell you what to do, just thought I'd throw that out there. Have you started using different treats? Did the vet do a skin scraping and allergy test? It seems odd that the vet would put him on steroids without trying to get to the root of the problem or at least planning to delve deep into it. You might want to try a different vet. I can't think of anything else right now. Of course, the bad thing about allergies is that they could come from just about anything. Good luck with your baby.

5. Angie

Angie New Member

When I went to the hospital for hives (allergic reaction) they gave me little steriod pills as well. Now I take Clairtin whenever I get them.
    I could be anything really, its hard to pin point the problem.
    Good luck with it!
    Just change one thing and then wait about a week and see what happens.
    Then try the next. If you change everything at once, it will be hard to find the problem (to prevent it from happening again.)
    I hope you figure it out!

6. jay

jay New Member

I went through this for about 4 months with Mick and no one could help. I went to 3 different vets. One of the vets who was recommended to me put Mick on 1500 hundred miligrams of Keflex daily, she said this would knock it out of him. I was a little leary about having him on the anti-biotics for that long, but it worked and that was about 2 months ago. Also, I used Sulf OxyDex Shampoo twice a week and now only about weekly. Maybe you can ask your vet about this.

7. oso

oso New Member

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF ALLERGIC REACTIONS ON DOGS, CAUSE JUST THIS WEEK OSO HAS BEEN GETTING LIL PATCHES OF LOSING HAIR, HIS PET TRAINER SAID IT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE SOMETHING(I DONT REMEMBER THE NAME) THAT MIMICS ITSELF, BUT I ALSO JUST HAVE FOR THE LAST FEW DAYS BEEN GIVING OSO A NEW GRAVY OVER HIS DRY FOOD

8. marmie

marmie New Member

Pittbull Allergies

He is a vegitarian because of the hormones in meat these days. We also have an eplictic dog and we are trying to stay away form hormones for him. Both dogs are on different diets so I'm going to try to use the other dogs food for a bit and see if that helps. We are using Missing Link and my husband says it has meat in it so my appologies my dog is not a vegitarian.

The Trainer lives in Los Angeles county but I don't believe he has grass. The did not do a skin scrapping but I will suggest that if we need to see him again.

Thanks for your advice,
    Laurie

9. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Marmie - It could be his diet. You may try Calif Natural lamb & rice with him. It is a good allergy food. It has meat but I really don't think the hormones in it will give him any trouble. There are other good allergy foods you could try also but I have had the most sucess (if that is what you want to call it) with calif Natural.

I don't know about Keflex. If they are antibiotics I don't see what they would have to do with allergies.

It is also quite common for a vet to give an steroid shot or take home meds with steroids when dogs come in with allergies.

Oso - Symptoms of allergies are itching, hair loss, hot spots, red skin, etc. If your dog is losing little patches of hair, it could be allergies, but it could also be a thyroid problem, mange, mites, etc. Itching and scratching a lot are the main signs of allergies.

Back to marmie - I am going through this with my dog and haven't yet solved it but I will tell you what I know. First, I would try some of the allergy foods and stop giving him treats as he could be allergic to those. My vet also suggested that I give Omega 3 & 6 supplements to his food. I don't know what is in Missing Link but he could be allergic to something in it. Also make sure he is on regular flea treatment. If you live in an area with a lot of fleas then you could give the flea treatment more regularly than just once a month. If none of this works, the vet would have to do allergy testing which is very expensive. I doubt it would come to that since he was ok at the other place. I would go through every possible thing that could be different.

10. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I would really look at Harrys environment. if is tarted in may at your home, then went away the week he was boarded and now back again. it seem to be somehting in your home, like fleas, and it does sound seasonal if it started in May, is he in the house and maybe you had your carpets shamppoed, etc, there is a lot to look at, but think hard if anything changed in May.

What are you suing for flea control?

honeybear

11. marmie

marmie New Member

Elizavixen and Honeybear:

Thank you for your posts. I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I've had dog for the past 10 years and have never EVER had a flea problem. Fleas love me so the first sign of a flea and I'd know it. My husband thought fleas too so we put both dogs on Program just in case.

I'm going to try eliminating things slowly to see where we are at by the end of the week. One thing that I did notice is that while he was in the house most of the day today while we were at work he seemed to be better but then he went on the grass and WHAM he was back to itching and scratching. I'm going to keep him in and only let him out to go potty. I've also been holding warm Epson salt rags on his belly and his sores seemed a little less noticable . . . could be my imagination. I just feel really bad for the guy because even being miserable with the itching and scratching he is the happiest dog.

I'll continue to watch the post and keep you posted as well!

12. Angie

Angie New Member

Did you spray anything in your yard? Any new plants/flowers that he might be eating or even sniffing? Do you spray flee/bug killer on your grass or anything like that?

Also, sometimes I get an allergic reaction but don't notice it or it doesn't show until I get in the heat. Im not sure if that could be the same with dogs but if so the heat could have made it noticeable.
    ??????

13. honeybears

honeybears New Member

you are getting into the warmer months where harry may be in the grass, etc, a lot more, so that could be the cause.

good luck

honeybear