1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Overstocking?? Advice please

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by ltopper, Apr 20, 2004.

1. ltopper

ltopper New Member

Hello everyone......I'm new to the group and am fairly new to the marine world in general.
    I have a 125 gallon marine tank that has been established for 9 months now. I bought the tank with most of the fish in it from the previous owner. I do a 20% water change and regular scrubdown once a month. Live rock and a few fake corals along with some sand and crushed coral as the bed.

I wanted to know how many fish....is too much as I've heard a few different things. I currently have a 5" porcupine puffer (my favorite!!), a mature coral beauty angel, mature gold stripe maroon clown, mature lemon damsel and mature three stripe damsel.......and a week after my last water change, I added a very sweet 4.5" picasso trigger. The way my tank is set up, everyone has plenty of places to call their own and although I have seen a few chases in the beginning....all seems to be going well. I know someone who has a 4" juvenile french angel he is giving me because he's added live corals to his 130gl tank and the angel is nipping the corals all the time. I'm picking him/her up next week. I was told that most marine fish kept in captivity who are purchased as juveniles either are very slow to grow and or sometimes never make it to full length that they would in the "wild". Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm even considering going a little bigger in the future if I need to in order to accomodate the fish I now have.
    Oh and maybe I'm a lucky one but my "aggressive" fish...all get plenty to eat so no one fights over food (the puffer and trigger get "hand fed"...it's kinda neat!!) and so far, territory hasn;t been a "issue" as of yet.

Thanks so much,

Lisa

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

one thing i do know is that angels do not tolerate any other angel. so, if u see any signs of chases or fights going on, i would suggest to remove one immediatly b/c they wont end soon. other then that, sounds like a good setup.

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Welcome to Auspet!
    The first thing to do is find some good advice in your hometown at a Local Fish Shop. They can teach you a lot about the hobby of saltwater tanks. I know that buying tanks that are already set up is a great way to learn! The risks associated with adding fishes to an already established aquarium are enourmous. Make sure the fish that you are adding is healthy.
    The picasso trigger and french angels can both achieve a size of 12 inches in a healthy tank. Are your fishes this size? Usually the rule is that if you add two large fish at the same time, the fishes are more likely to get along.
    It might be a little to your advantage if the french angel is bigger than the picasso...Good luck!