1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Pacu not doing well

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by PacuJon, Feb 11, 2005.

1. PacuJon

PacuJon New Member

I have two Pacus. They are starting out in a 10 gallon tank, I know too small, didn't get that info from the fish store, so I'm going to get a large one soon. Anyway, I just did a larger than normal water change because the tank was real filthy. I changed about 60%. My Pacus are about 2-3 inches right now and one of them is breathing slow and keeps floating upside down, although he can right himself when he has too. What should I do? Just wait it out? I've spent about three hours now making sure he is right-side up and staying alive. I'm guessing it's a gone'r, but I'd like to save him. Thanks in advance.

-Jon

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

what size tank are you looking to get? a single pacu can grow to 3' long, so u will need a heck of a tank.....what are the nitrItes, nitrAtes, and ammonia readings?

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

The pacu is just one of those fishes that wont do well in small tanks. Some fishes you can trick into being okay for a while, but not the pacu. It needs hiding spots and lots of swimming room from day one. It is also very sensitive to less than perfect water conditions. You should consider taking your pacu back until you have a bigger tank.

4. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

i have to agee with hooben
    return the pacu unltill you have atleast a 200gal tank to start them out in.
    my two Pacu are 18inch each and pretty much outgrown there 130 gal home.

5. tski22

tski22 New Member

Pacuguy can you post a pic of your tank witht he pacus in it I would very much like to see them. -tl

6. jvtaiman

jvtaiman New Member

ive purchased a 100 gal tank for a pacu that im getting, just one. is that going to be enough?

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

No. Red bellied pacus get 2' long and really need at least 300 gallons each. They are also social fish and do best in groups which means you'd need closer to 900 gallons for 3 of them.

-Chelle