1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

parrottlet bird won't quit biting - what do I do

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by kiwismom, Aug 17, 2006.

1. kiwismom

kiwismom New Member

My parrottlet is about 5 months old. He is talking which is neat. But we cannot get him to quit biting. We have scolded him (saying no) and then tapping his beak. What else can we do?? He won't come out of his cage. When I first got him he was coming out but then he started biting and I read somewhere that when they do that you tell them no and put them back in their cage.
    He is molting so does this mean anything? He is becoming a mean bird and I don't want a mean bird I want a loving one.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Firstly never hit a bird on there beak no matter how hard they bite you you can actually cause serious damage, Also this does nothing but make the bird scared of your hand.

The method i have used is wearing a thick pair of gloves that the bird can not bite through and hold the bird for 15minutes talking calmly and softly all the time to him.
    After 15mins put him back in his cage, Do this a couple of times per day and eventually he will become tame, If he has a favourite fruit, veg or if he likes millet spray you cam also use that to tempt him to you hand he will then associate good things with your hands.

A birds only defence is there beak so if they feel threatened they will give a nasty bite.

Never goto the bird with your hand quickly as this will scare him always go slow when putting hand in the cage and if he tries to get away hold your hand still then when he calms move again.

Time paitience and understanding will win him over

Mike

3. kiwismom

kiwismom New Member

Thank you for the information. I will try that and hopefully it will work. I want to correct something I did say because it sounded bad. I don't hit his beak I just kind of tap it and say no no. But I won't do that anymore.
    I am excited to try this new suggestion.
    Thanks.

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Well hopefully its should work i have a really bad biting cockatiel and only way to handle him is with gloves on he is starting to calm now as he knows i wont give up hahah

Mike

5. sortethegod

sortethegod New Member

but i read that you shouldnt wear gloves because gloves scares birds. :?:

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Gloves do not scare birds, Birds are naturally scared of everything, Its the hands coming towards them too fast is what scares the birds.

I have always used gloves with biters and never had a problem and i have been breeding for years.

Mike