1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

parvo and coccidia in 3 month old rott pup

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Louvenia Evans, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Louvenia Evans

Louvenia Evans New Member

I brought a 3 month old rottweiler puppy on Feb.6 2004 and she died on Feb.13 2004.The breeder never told me the dog had coccidia on Jan. 16 and she was treated by her vet and when I took her to the vet on Feb. 13 do to her being ill the vet told me she was a strong postive for parvo. The breeder says she got parvo at my hosue and refused to give any money back we are in court over this and I need some information on how the coccidia may have been some of the cause for the parvo or how long it takes parvo to incubate in a puppy also if a puppy had coccidia after taking the medication would they have to be retested for coccidia to make sure its gone.

2. stravieso

stravieso New Member

Sorry to hear about your puppy...I can totally relate since I lost my puppy last week due to Parvovirus. I was lucky that the lady that sold me the puppy went out and bought me another one. I still miss my puppy dearly but the new puppy has helped me so much.

I'm not sure about coccidia but I can tell you that your puppy came with the Parvovirus. My vet told me it takes from 7-10 days to incubate and your puppy died a week after you had her which means she came infected. You really need to get documentation from your vet to prove that the puppy came with the Parvo. Some literature on the internet say that the incubation period is only 4-7 days but most indicate 7-10 days. When did your puppy start showing signs of parvo?

I suggest you get a certified letter from your vet indicating the incubation period of Parvo to prove that your puppy already had the parvo when you bought her. Talk to a few vets and get different opinions.

Good luck and please keep me posted.

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Coccidia and Giardia are intestinal parasites. Both associated with diarrhea. Parvo is a virus. So the coccidia or it's treatment had nothing to do with the Parvo. Unless the Vet misdiagnosed the symptom of diarrhea as coccidia instead of the parvovirus. And that would be neglegent by the Vet since coccidia is a fecal test and parvo is a blood test.

I still would say the breeder should be held accountable since she should have well started the vaccines for parvo and other diseases by 3 months. I'm just guessing that she wasn't such a good breeder by the fact the pups had coccicia since this is usually found where there's a lot of feces laying around and not being picked up.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Parvo is a difficult disease. It is very easy for a pup to get it and the shots don't necessarily protect from it. The virus lives for a very long time on surfaces, so it is easy for a pup to come in contact with it. It could have happened at the breeders' house, but it also could have happened at your house if you took the pup anywhere other dogs have been, such as a store, a park, or the vet's office.

When did the symptoms for parvo first appear?

5. GinaH

GinaH New Member

IM very sorry for your loss. Parvo is a terrible heartbreaking disease that can make you feel so helpless. My little girl Punkin contracted parvo when she was 3 months old I thought everyday when I woke up that she would most likely die today because she was just so sick. But she didn't she pulled through and is now a happy healthy 9 month old.
    Your puppy would have already been infected with the parvo virus when you brought him home. Parvo can live up to 5 months actively when not properly disinfected. Not to mention the minuscule amount that can be brought in on a persons shoes. Parvo can actually live anywhere from your floors to your countertops. A puppies Immune function plays a huge role in a puppy's immunity to parvo. So if your puppy already had coccidia that signals a lowered immune system. A puppy's natural immunity it receives from mothers milk begins to wear off around 5 weeks making it very susceptible to parvo.

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I hate to hear that! BUt coccidia has nothing to do with Parvo. As you well know coccidia is a parasite, Parvo is a deadly virus. Your probably not going to get your money back. SInce there is absolutely no way of telling where the Parvo came from it could have very well came from your property or surrounding.

As for the breeder issue. She isn't held liable if you signed a contract. Most contracts state that the puppy will be fully refunded if the puppy dies or gets ill from an inherited disease. Parvo isn't one of them.

I'm sorryt ot say that. But its true. I sold a puppy at 10 weeks old. SHipped her all the way to California. THe lady two weeks later (after not taking her to the vet in the 48 hr clause) calls and complains the puppy is in the vet getting treated of Parvo. She was tested when she left my care, but got it (and survived!) somewhre along the way. I happily refunded her (even though it was not in the contract, but for my own personal gratification).

Its a hard bout, but good luck. Though if she never vaccinated the puppy and you can prove that. You might have a case....

7. stravieso

stravieso New Member

Samsintentions, as I mentioned before my puppy too died of Parvo. She started showing signs a week after I got her and died 4 days later. The lady that sold her to me, as you said, was not really responsible but she was so nice and so me suffering so much that she paid part of the vet bills and bought me another puppy. She is not a breeder, she just breeded her dog once so she actually drove 2 hours to buy me another puppy. I did take my puppy to the vet she recommended the day after I got her and back to him for her second shots and then again the day after she showed signs of Parvo. He never even mentioned the possibility.

That was a nice thing you did for those people especially since it was 2 weeks later and they didn't take her to the vet within the 48 hr. Is always nice to know that there are still nice people around!!!

8. lil96

lil96 New Member

I thought I heard that Parvo is around for 7 years, if it isn't properly cleaned up. I don'T know, all I know is it is scary. Sorry for your loss. Make sure you clean you r house really good, with bleach

9. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! Well, best of luck with you and your dog!