1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Passing Gas Problem

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Dukesdad, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

A friend here at work has a year old Springer Spaniel who has developed a bad gas problem. My friend says it's about to drive them out of their house. By asking questions I eliminated rawhide chews as a possible source. He is fed, and I can hear the screams coming, Purina Adult kibble with occassional table scraps.
    I think the question has been answered.
    I searched this new site because I know we have covered this topic before but I couldn't find any threads. Maybe it was on the old board.
    I told him to get a better quality food and cut out the scraps.
    Any suggestions besides the raw meat diet? I don't think they will go that route.

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

WEll, Smokey eats kibble and raw, and he has the worlds worst gas problems. My vet told me it was due to a gastrol intestinal problem that some dogs have. Kinda like heartburn in people. SOme just get "gassier" than others.

3. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

I have in my experience with dogs noticed that the more of a "mix" of foods. i.e. kibble, table scraps, raw, etc., the more problem there can be with gas. I think a steady diet settles things down a bit. But, I also think some dogs are like people, and just more prone to such things. I've had dogs that rarley if ever passed gas, and other's that did it with great proficiency :shock:
    My mom had a little yorkie poo dog that never, ever passed gas..... but he could burp with the best of them! He would always let out a big burp each time he ate, and we decided that's what kept it from ever coming out the other end!

4. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

LMAOOOOO!

5. nern

nern New Member

If its just the food causing the problem, a food with minimal ingredients might be helpful....something like California Natural. Avoiding foods with soy products could be very helpful as well. Soy seems to be an ingredient that is known for causing gas in some dogs.

6. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I have one dog that's a gasser and one that's a belcher. Together they're a gastrointestinal symphony!

7. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Consider adding Missing Link to food, Fiber content can be the problem or to low bacteria in colon. Over the counter Gas - X add just pinch to food. My male Pyr has a little problem with gas so we add 1/4 spoon full of Metamucil each feeding. Adjust to each dog and be sure to give plenty of water. Keep track of how often, how much and how soft or hard stool is. Consider brown rice add to diet or yogurt. Just be careful not to over do it. If know change in a week or so you may need to get additive such as
    Acidophilus+ At http://www.drsfostersmith.com

2pyrs