1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

pH burn? or not...

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Blau_the_cow, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

Hi there.

A few days ago I did a massive water change (about 75%...I know I shouldnt do that much but my water was really cloudy and I didnt know why...turns out Ive been way overfeeding them :oops: ) and everything seemed to be going fine... This morning I found a dead young molly. I thought maybe it was the one with the gibbled back, and he died of that, but i was just now looking at my pleco up close and he seems to have red streaks on his fins. This made me rethink why my molly died. Do you think its from ph burning or some sort of result from my massive water change? And what can I do to fix it? Thanks... Jill

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sounds like a bacterial infection/septicemia.

What are the water parameters?

You can use Maracyn Two to treat it.

-Chelle

3. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

Maracyn Two...okay. Is that relatively easy to find?

I only know my pH. Its sitting at about 6.4 right now... and it usually is that...I know that 6.4 isnt ideal for mollies, but my fish havent seemed to mind up until now...so I hadnt meddled with it.

When I go out to get Maracyn Two, I will also get more test kits.

So I need ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte... right?

Thanks..

4. Pekemom

Pekemom New Member

Blau~

What are you treating the water with? I use bottled water for my two 37 gal's, so I don't treat the water for chlorine. But I do use "Stresscoat" at each change (even on my five gal). Just a bit - but it does treat the water and foster a protective coating on the fish. It's a great all around product and I use it every time I change the water.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yup.

-Chelle

6. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

I use "cycle"...I'm not sure if its any good. Ran out of startright a few water changes ago.. I will have to pick some up tomorow when I go to get Maracyn..

Chelle...I understand that you know your oscars very well...Is there no possible way to put a baby oscar in a 37 gallon for it to grow up and live in there? eg... lots of water changes, decorations that leave lots of room for swimming...etc. I ask because I was originally going to spend all my savings on a 55 gallon...but then remembered I have to start saving for med school, and christmas is soon, and then a friend told me she had a 37 gallon and was willing to give it to me for a cheap price...so I went with that offer. I was really really looking forward to keeping an oscar and even picked out a name, but I am all for animal rights and I wouldnt want to have an oscar if it meant the poor thing had an awful life...thanks..

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Cycle isn't a dechlorinator.

It is a VERY bad idea to try to keep an oscar in a 37 gallon tank. You would likely have to do water changes 2 - 3 times/week to keep the nitrAtes down. Plus in that small of a space it would likely become stunted.

-Chelle

8. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

Oh well...I suppose I will just have to look for some colourful cichlids then...thanks anyway.

ps..I wasnt using cycle as a dechlorinater.