1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Piper's newest bad habit ... HELP!

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Piper's Mom, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

Last week Piper found a spot in the yard and decided to see if she could find China. We filled it back in, but absolutely cannot keep her away. She has become OBSESSED with digging this stupid hole. She will do it with me standing there, knowing I'm going to drag her inside. She gives me that "I just can't help myself" look. She is sticking her nose as deep as she can into it, as if she smells something. I'm wondering if there is something we can put in the hole that will change the odor and not be harmful to the grass, our plants or Piper? Anyone have any proven suggestions for stopping the digging? HELP!

2. someday

someday New Member

I'm not sure of anything you could put on it that would make her not want to dig in that spot, but I have heard that some people have been successful in teaching their dog to dig in a kiddie pool filled with sand, so that they don't dig in the yard...maybe someone else will have another suggestion..

3. Angie

Angie New Member

What about mixing something in there that is not harmful but will make her sneeze?

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

they say to put in some of their dog doo, they hate teh smell or other things in the hole to dter, funny it just started, whats on the other side that could making her do it?

5. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

When Piper was younger, I sprinkled Cayenne Pepper on things I wanted her to leave alone, but think she would throw it all off on the first foot rotation. (You should see how fast her feet can spin!) The hole is in the middle of the back yard. I started thinking more about this and remembered that we put up ornamental fencing a few weekends ago to keep her out of the flower beds. She is crushing all of my plants and flowers by walking on them. Maybe she is frustrated that she cannot get into the flowerbeds? I was reading on the internet and saw a suggestion to bury a water balloon so that it will burst and scare the dog. Think I may try this - I'm sure my son has some of these. I was thinking about the poop - it will fertilize the yard, but what if she goes to digging and then I have to wash mud AND poop off in the tub? :shock: Maybe we will end up having to try the kiddie pool. Thank you for your suggestions!

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

what about a rodent??

wylie did this a few times last year, as you say she was trying to dig to china, compusivlely, we never had a problem so I was perplexed. one area was my flower garden and I was so mad. she dug it all up and a few days later she did it again, this time my husband caught her and she was happily carrying a mole, yuk! unlike gophers who dig up toi the surface, moles are undergournd. I guess she could smell it and was determined to get it. so once the mole was gone she hasnt done it since

so that might be the culprit

honeybear

7. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

I never considered something like that. Looks like the hubby has some investigating to do! Thank you, honeybears.

8. lukiebo

lukiebo New Member

I wouldn't use the water balloon... What if your dog were to swallow a piece and choke/suffocate. :shock: You don't want to mix balloons with dogs... too dangerous :!:

9. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

Crap ... I didn't think about that either ... thank you. I'm off work for the next 4 days - I'm going to work with her and not let her out without me. Wish me luck. Thanks for all the response. So far, no sign of critters...

10. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

Update: We have buried Piper's poop in the holes and I have had been rotating fresh poop for old poop on top of the dirt where she was digging. So far, as long as I keep fresh poop on top, she is leaving the area alone. (Once it dries, she goes right back to digging.) This leaving poop out is really hard for me, because our rule has always been that poop is scopped and discarded immediately so that we can all enjoy a poop-free backyard. This new way has proven most unfortunate for my son, who fell on it yesterday while he was playing chase with Piper. Oh well - you win some, you loose some. :?

11. Sara

Sara New Member

Something must really be there to make her want to dig there so badly... All I do is put poo in the holes and my Boerboels are done with that one... ON to a new spot and I fill that in too... Mostly it's during the summer when it's hot out that they dig... THEN I keep the ground moist hosing it some every day and they are okay to not dig AS MUCH... The poop thing is hard though... I always feel like I'm a criminal cheating at cleanup...LOL

12. honeybears

honeybears New Member

"Something must really be there to make her want to dig there so badly... : I agree with Sarah, I dont know if something liek this woudl work, but pour vinagar in the hole, filll it with poo and then see what happens, maybe the vinagar smell wil turn her off, it may not be a good idea but just throwing iedeas out there

13. keceip1

keceip1 New Member

I know I'm a little late responding, but one thing I did with my dogs to keep them from trying to dig under the fence was to dig alittle trench about 8in. or so and fill it with concrete and then cover the very top back with dirt so it dosen't look ugly. So if it is just one spot that might work. I also heard the dog poop idea works too though, but just trying to give you other suggestions.

14. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

Vinegar - that might actually keep everything away! It's supposed to rain for the next couple of days, but I'll probably try that when it dries up. I don't think it should hurt the grass.

A while back Piper dug around the fence and we buried a couple of bricks and that did work (it's the same as concrete). I didn't even think about doing that in the middle of the yard, but why not? Thanks for the idea!

The poop works with her, but only if I keep a fresh supply on top.

15. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Vinegar won't hurt your grass. But it probably won't work, either. I'd try diluted ammonia. One half cup to a gallon of water. That smell should keep her from digging, drive away any rodents, and will act as a fertilizer for your grass.

Your other option might be a large landscaping rock or some other form of lawn ornament. maybe a bird bath?