1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

PIT BULL aka MIXED BRED MUTT THAT BITES SOMEONE

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by A.P.B.T. lover, Apr 4, 2005.

1. A.P.B.T. lover

A.P.B.T. lover New Member

We need to change the way we introduce our dogs in order to save our pure, registered breed.
    Everytime there is a bite, or attack, the media plasters their newspapers with, PIT BULL ATTACK.
    The mainstream public for the most part have no idea what a Pit Bull looks like. As far as the media goes, a PIT BULL is not a breed, but a dog that attacks someone. The Journal of American Medicine produce the , " Holy List" of bite statistics based on the Emergency Ward casualties, police , and dog control reports.
    It's unthinkable to know that a person in shock, fresh from a dog attack is asked, " What Bit you?" Grained into the brain is that word, "PITBULL".
    Based on years of personal experience regarding this matter 99.9% of the time the guilty party is NOT an American Pit Bull Terrier. I have rushed down to the local Dog Control and seen for myself these dogs that look nothing like the breed I raise. I put together a board at a local Pet Expo. It stated," Find the Pit Bull". There were 40 pictures of dogs. Out of the 35,000 people that walked through those doors each day, not ONE was accurate. Know why? The A.P.B.T. was not even there. He was home, snuggled up with his family, but you know he'll be accused for the attrocity the dogs on the board commit!
    When I walk my dog people rush up, commenting on how beautiful my dog is. They ask, " What breed is it?" I tell them a Registered American Pit Bull Terrier. The answer I get is usually, " Oh, I haven't heard of one of those before!"

We need to save our breed, by ridding ourselves of the PIT BULL slang. My dog is NOT a Pit Bull. It is a Reg'd A.P.B.T. :)
    Negativity, hysteria, and ignorance DRENCH the name Pit Bull. Let's get rid of it! We can start by changing the title of this Forum :wink:

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Hello and welcome. :D
    I think thats a great idea, your exactly right about the pictures, there was/is a link in here somewhere with about 30 pictures of dogs, same thing, pick out the Pit Bull, I got it narrowed down to 2, most of them I ruled out pretty quick but its easy to see why people who dont know dog breeds at all wouldnt have any idea, I asked my hubby to pick out which one he thought it was, he's never really been around dogs much (Im educating him), he narrowed it down to about 5, none of them were the Pit.
    The last hospital I worked at, when I entered in the breed of dog and the owner would tell me its a Pit mix, I would enter the dog as a Lab mix, Boxer mix etc depending on what the dog looked like it may have been mixed with and then tell the owner for future reference they should refer to the dog as the other breed to avoid the 'stigma' and sometimes for insurance companies who wont insure or will charge a lot more depending on the breed.
    I was at a local fair a few days ago (Im in Germany right now where they have the Dangerous Dog Act in effect and all Bull Terriers are on the list as banned. :? ) There was a guy with an English Bull Terrier, I listened in on the conversation a group of people were having, they were 'disgusted' that the PIT BULL!! didnt have a muzzle (they also have muzzle laws that require 'official testing' before any dog on the list can be out in public without a muzzle) and that it should be shot. The dog was quite happy walking with the owner, wasnt bothering anyone, didnt bite a guy that had walked into it, I told them that the dog couldnt have been more than about 8 months old and so it may not be old enough to where the muzzle law is would be enforced...or maybe it already passed the test.!!! I then went and spoke to the guy with the dog, absolutely beautiful, 9 month old male, red and white, English Bull Terrier (that looks nothing like a Pit, Am Staff....or any of the other Bull Terriers) as friendly as any dog could be....but you can bet your life that IF that dog ever bites anyone...or probably even barks at anyone it would be reported as being a Pit Bull!!!!

3. Sara

Sara New Member

The dog on my Avatar is mistaken for a Pit Bull OFTEN and I'm always setting them straight about the breed...ALWAYS mentioning that my Riot is a mastiff breed and is at LEAST 2 times the size of a pit bull. Generally they're shocked...

when I introduce my Pit Bulls to people I introduce them as American Pit Bull Terriers.... So far I haven't had anyone give me a negative impression of the breed generally the people who have the negative impression and are not willing to be open minded are the people who cross the street a block in front of me because I've got a "pit bull" at the end of my leash...can't get close enough to them to set them straight either way...