1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Pit Bull Terminology?

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by loves-da-pits, Apr 18, 2004.

1. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Last Sunday I was walking my dogs. Down at the end of my street two guys were out front and was looking at Reese. They seem to admire him. They came up to us and ask if he was a Mastiff, which to me seemed odd since he doesn't even look like one. I told them that the breeder registered the pups as AmStaffs so he could show them at AKC shows. He said he had two P.B. but didn't elaborate. Then the one guy ask me if he was a "Shovel Head." Didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Try looking on the internet, briefly, but really didn't see anything. I kind of downplayed it because I didn't want to appear stupid and kept on walking. I just said he had a shovel tongue as a joke. But I keep thinking about it and was wondering if this a legit terminology, or was he insulting my dog?

2. Sara

Sara New Member

It seems like people make up terminology among their own friends/breeders (I really hesitate to call them that because...they're BYB's most of the time)...

What the Hell is a shovel head??? I've NEVER heard that term before and it sounds bogus to me... Especially from someone who sees an APBT/Amstaff (an owner of the breed) and thinks it's a mastiff...

Even if the guy was insulting you... I doubt it meant much coming from such an idiot.

3. Sara

Sara New Member

I asked on another board... This is what I got

"A shovel head is a pit bull with a head that is very wide, more like a spade then a shovel in shape. It is something that people think that makes the pit bull look more intimidating with a big head and powerful jaws."

Hmmmm...

4. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Thanks, Sara, for asking. Hadn't much time to look into it. Been working all day. Still think it's a stupid terminology. Anyone who's ever seen Reese, intimidation is not what comes to mind. I guess those guys feel empowered or something by having P.Bs. and run in a whole different crowd. (POOR DOGS!!) I'll just start walking down the street in the other direction.

5. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

These people were idiots sounds like to me anyway. I'm not trying to insult people I don't know but it seems like most of the breeders and owners I know lack common sense and human intellegence. Asking if your dog is a mastiff? Asking if he is a shovel head? What Sara said is true and thats what the "terminology" means but it is something that these people made up and use to sell dogs with special names. You shuold have asked them though, sounds like they wouldn't have even been able to explain, they themselves may not even know what it means. They can see whether or not the dog has a very wide type of head. They can obviously see it isn't a mastiff. Never feel afraid to ask though and feel stupid, not everyone knows everything, if I used terms to someone walking or whatever I'd rather have them ask then play it off.

6. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

True: I agree, these guys were idiots. I just didn't want to carry on a conversation with two strangers I didn't know, especially in this city. I didn't play it off, I just felt uncomfortable. Besides, they had two dogs (Pits) beating at their screen door to get out. Reese and I just kept on going. I kept thinking about the terminology, and figured I would ask the people here to see if it had any merit.

7. JJ Luchiano

JJ Luchiano New Member

I've never heard of that term either. Yeah, best bet is to walk your pit somewhere else especially if you live in in PHX. I used to live in Tempe now relocated back to TX. People around the Austin area are always looking out to steal your pit.