1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Pitbull Puberty what happened...

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by ktownchick30, Oct 19, 2005.

1. ktownchick30

ktownchick30 New Member

Hey, I have a 67lb lap dog… err I mean Pitbull named Rocko, he’s a huge baby, scared of everything, like rain, leaves falling off trees, poodles or any small yippy dog, bugs… you know an all-round wimp. I got him when he was 7 weeks old, and it was a rescue type situation.

He was taken from is mother too early, but she was very sick and the puppies were living on infected milk from an abscess the owner was too cheap to take the dog to the vet to medicate. Anyway he definitely has separation anxiety; he has to be with me all the time, either in my lap or laying/sitting on my feet.

From the day I got him he loved people… all people… we nicknamed him the cookie ho, because he’d go anywhere or do anything for anyone... as long as they had a cookie.

From the day I got him he’s been super playful, almost aggressively playful, but never in a vicious way. I can put my hand in his mouth and take anything I want away from him. I’ve gone as far as taking a half eaten steak right out of his mouth without a worry at all about safety, he just looks at me and makes a pouty face.

Everything was great, we went to obedience classes, socialized like crazy, I never worried about him being around anyone. When my puppy turned one, suddenly he started growling and snapping at strangers. He has never bitten anyone, and the one time when he did get out of the house off his leash he ran across the street to bark and growl at someone on the sidewalk. But he never lunged at her or bit her… just scared the crap out of her.

I’ve read some of the posts on the board and I have seen a few similar comments, I have not taken him to the vet yet to check it out, and I feel I am very responsible in making sure he does not have the ability or freedom to harm anyone. Every person he was in contact with before he turned one, he loves no matter how brief a meeting it was. I have friends who he met 2 week after I brought him home, had not seen since… yet he remembers them and will cuddle up with them over a year later.

I was just trying to figure out if this was a somewhat common problem, maybe not all pitbulls, but something that does happen often. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions other then talking to my vet, taking him to a trainer or putting him down, because those are things I already know I can do. I just want as much information I can get before I take that step.

Thanks in advance

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I would first take him to the vet to rule out any illness first, here is a good article on thyroid problems causing sudden aggressiveness that starts at puberty and go from there

In recent years, many investigators have noted the sudden onset of behavioral changes in dogs around the time of puberty. Most of the dogs have been purebreds or crossbreds with an apparent predilection for certain breeds (e.g., Golden Retrievers, Shetland Sheepdogs, German Shepherds, Cocker Spaniels, Akitas, Doberman Pincschers and Rottweilers). Many of these dogs also had begun to show the seasonal effects of allergies to inhalants and ectoparasites such as fleas, followed by the onset of skin and coat disorders, including pyoderma, allergic dermatitis, alopecia and intense itching.

A typical history starts out with a quiet, well-mannered and sweet natured puppy. The dog is outgoing, has attended puppy training classes to prepare for obedience, working or show events, and comes from a reputable breeder whose kennel has no history of behavioral problems.

However, at the onset of puberty, which varies from seven months to a year in age, sudden major changes in personality are observed. Typical signs may include incessant whining, nervousness, schizoid behavior, fear in the presence of strangers, hyperventilation, undue sweating, occasional disorientation and failure to be attentive. These can progress to sudden unprovoked aggressiveness in unfamiliar situations with other animals and with people, especially children.

The owners may attribute the problems to the sex hormonal changes accompanying puberty or just the uncertainties of adolescent development. Often these animals are neutered, which appears to alleviate the behavioral problems, specifically the aggression, for varying lengths of time. For a significant proportion of these animals, however, neutering does not alter the symptoms and they intensify progressively to the point that the adult can be described as flaky, unable to handle any kind of stress, frantically circling, hyperventilating and not able to settle down. Animals used for field work and tracking often fail to follow the scent, whereas those in obedience training may lose the scent articles. Their powers of concentration are often very short and so dogs that were training very successfully at obedience appear to lag behind in a disinterested fashion. With all of these changes in behavior, the problem of most concern is unwarranted aggression. When large breeds are affected it poses a significant hazard to family members, friends and strangers.

In some cases affected animals do not show aggression but become very shy and fearful to the point that they are social outcasts and do not make acceptable house pets. These animals clearly are not suitable for show, obedience or working purposes. Some of these dogs will show extremely submissive behavior, roll over and urinate upon being approached.

The third group of dogs showing aberrant behavior consists of those that experience seizure or seizure-like disorders beginning in puberty and continuing to mid-life. These are dogs that appear perfectly healthy outwardly and have normal hair coats and energy, but suddenly experience seizures for no apparent reason. The seizures are often spaced several weeks to months apart, and occasionally they appear in a brief cluster. In some cases the animals become aggressive and attack those around them shortly before or after having one of these seizure episodes.

The number of dogs showing various types of abnormal behavior in these three classical modes (aggression, extreme shyness or seizure-like activity) has been increasing over the last decade. Veterinary colleagues have remarked that in recent years some young dogs have become completely unacceptable because of bizarre, sudden behavioral changes. Consequently, we began to examine these animals by using the stepwise diagnostic approach outlined previously. The importance of performing complete laboratory profiles in the blood and urine, with specific emphasis on thyroid hormonal function was stressed.

We were surprised to find that in many of the cases studied, significant abnormalities were found in the thyroid profile. Some cases also had changes in the liver enzyme patterns, specifically with abnormal increases in pre and post meal bile acids and elevated gamma glutamyl transerase levels. About 10 percent of these young dogs had abnormalities of the liver profile and a few also had changes in renal function. For the majority, however, the primary abnormality was attributable to abnormal thyroid function. This thyroid dysfunction would classically express high levels of T3 and T4 autoantibodies with an artifactual, apparent elevation of total T3 level. It would not be uncommon to find circulating total T3 levels that read as much as 3,000 to 5,000 nanograms per deciliter. While not all of the affected animals had documented evidence of T3 and T4 autoantibodies, some of these had positive antithyroglobulin antibody tests. In either event, the diagnosis was confirmed as autoimmune thyroiditis.

The autoimmune thyroid disease present in these patients apparently is inducing some type of physiological change at the cellular lever, which leads to the aberrant behavior. This supposition can be made with some assurance because treatment of thyroiditis of these dogs with appropriate doses of thyroid replacement hormone given twice daily along with a one-month tapering course of low-dose corticosteroids, has successfully reversed the behavioral problems within four to eight weeks. Dramatic changes in behavior have been recognized in a few cases as early as after 10 days of therapy.

By contrast, it usually takes five to seven months of thyroid replacement therapy to effect complete disappearance of the circulating antithyroid antibodies. These dogs should be maintained for life on the appropriate dose of thyroid hormone, which may need to be adjusted periodically.

Another subset of affected dogs consists of those that do not have demonstrable antithyroid antibodies but have baseline thyroid profiles that are clearly abnormal. In these cases, levels of total T4, total T3, free T4 and free T3 are usually well below the lowest limits of the adult normal ranges or are in the low normal or borderline ranges. The latter situation is of particular significance in young dogs of nine to 15 months of age. When these dogs are treated with standard doses of thyroid replacement therapy (0.1 milliliter per 10 pound of body weight, given twice daily) the clinical signs associated with abnormal behavior rapidly resolve.

Here are two case studies as examples:

In the first, a four-year-old male Akita, weighing 110 pounds, suddenly attacked his owner and bit her in the face. The dog had been owned by the same family since early puppyhood and had been a remarkably even tempered, well-behaved and non-aggressive pet with people and other animals. After seeking the advice of two different veterinary clinicians and a major teaching hospital, the owner was about to give up in despair because no physical abnormalities could be found.

She was referred to us by an Akita rescue group, as this pattern of behavioral change has been associated with thyroid dysfunction in the breed. A complete thyroid panel which had not been performed earlier, was suggested and the dog was found to be hypothyroid. Thyroid therapy was initiated on a twice-daily basis. The dog's exemplary temperament returned and he has not shown any unusual behavior for more than a year. An interesting additional complication of the case was a moderately severe thrombocytopenia which also resolved with low doses of alternate-day steroid therapy and thyroid medication.

in the second, a nine month old male Shetland Sheepdog from excellent show-quality bloodlines suddenly became frantic and fearful. Acting intermittently, as if his vision were impaired he attacked a toddler in the owner' home. A complete physical examination was given and laboratory testing done; a routine check for T4 was borderline normal. The dog's abnormal behavior appeared to resolve, but soon reappeared.

After a second attack the dog had a complete thyroid profile done at Michigan State University's Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory. The total T4 was 44 nmol/1, total T3 was 0 nmol/1, free T4 was 2pmol/1, free T3 was >20 pmol/1, T4 autoantibody was 18 and T3 autoantibody was 85. The referring veterinarian did not realize that the results were consistent with autoimmune thyroiditis and the dog was not treated. Two months later the dog attacked another person and a second thyroid profile was sent to the Michigan State Laboratory. The second profile showed a total T4 of 29 nmol/1, total T3 of 0 nmol/1, free T4 of 25 pmol/1 free T3 of >20 pmol/1, T4 autoantibody of 48 and T3 autoantibody of 91. Consultation with our group was made at this point.

and here is another
    http://www.petplace.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=1807

http://www.petplace.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=1807

3. ktownchick30

ktownchick30 New Member

Wow, that was an amazing article. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I guess the next step is the vet, I thought it might be something medical, just because it’s an isolated situation, he’s only aggressive towards strangers and if he’s in his crate, or has on a muzzle and a stranger approaches him he is generally shaking either before or after he growls or snaps at them.

Again thank you for the information, we’ll be heading to the vet in the very near future J

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

your welcome :), FYi, my parents dog is on meds for hypothyroidism
    and she does fine

good luck