1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

playmate for male kitty--another boy or a girl?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by dolly, Oct 21, 2004.

1. dolly

dolly New Member

I asked this in a separate post on Ragdolls, but I'm relying on the experience of multi-cat owners for this question. My 3 y.o. active but typical male kitty Oliver (neut.) likes other cats and enjoys playing with them, he chases and wrestles but is gentle and calm in general. I want to get him a playmate as my 13 y.o. girl Bonnie is an old grump who wants to be left alone. Do you think that getting another female or male would be best, and what age? I think Bonnie would accept a young female easiest, but the main reason I want to get another one is as a playmate for Oliver. Would a female be put off by his chasing and wrestling or can some of them play like that as well?

Thanks for any input!

2. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Females play just as well, and as rough, as males! I don't have any other input on what sex or age to get though, sorry!

3. nern

nern New Member

My females mostly play with each other. They don't really wrestle but like to play tag. My 3yr old male (Chieve) loves to wrestle and play so much that he sometimes aggrevates the other cats because he is so active and playful. I recently took in a male kitten (currently 4 1/2 months old) and him and Chieve have become the best of friends. They spend hours stalking each other, playing tag and wrestling...the new kitten appears to be a perfect playmate for Chieve.
    Based on my experience, my males seem to be more active and playful in general than my females. Maybe a 4-6 month old male kitten, or an active young adult male would be a good match for Oliver?
    Let us know what you decide.

4. vene

vene New Member

A male or female young playmate should do well in your home. Pumpkin- 10 gets along with Monty- 8, Milo- 4, and Rene- 1. Pumpkin and Rene are females. Milo likes to play rough with Rene and Rene loves playing and chasing Monty around the house. It can get rough, but overall, they love each other. Pumpkin generally does her own stuff. All cats, like humans have their own personalities, but I think overall, getting a young kitten will be easier transition on everyone involved.

5. rcrgal31

rcrgal31 New Member

i have a 5 yr old female..and recently adopted 2 little boys...she still growls and swats at em..but she also plays w/ em...this is the first time i have ever owned boys..and i luv em to death!!...

6. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

i love male cats. :eek: :wink: i dont know that i would ever have a female again. i was raised with female cats, and had a female siamese in college and after college.

i love ALL cats...but i think its also personal preference. like fish tanks...salt vs fresh, active vs. passive...

i love active, run and tumble males... :qm4:

otis was a male...but i wouldnt characterize him as run and tumble. he was just...well...just perfect. never got into anything he shouldnt..always meticulous about his kitty pan, easy going...head knocker, lap kitty, friendly always to strangers. he would put both of his paws on either side of my face and pull my face to his...then lick.... :p :D

max and mikey are so easy going...max because of his breeding in my opinion. mikey because of the shelter. i just think females tend to be more finicky emotionally and particular about things than males. :roll:

just my opinion though...i dont want to generalize....or unfairly group all females into that category.....im just saying its been my experience :wink: