1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Please check those feet!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by karma, Apr 1, 2004.

1. karma

karma New Member

I posted this on the general dog board; thought I'd copy it to here also

Hi all,

I am probably preaching to the choir here....

But it's the time of year for groomers when lots of once-a-year customers show up. I'm seeing a lot of dogs whose feet have been poorly attended--- toenails so long they are curled under and are being walked on; in some cases dew claw nails curling right around and even growing back into the leg. Another common problem is that on some of the longer-haired dogs, the hair in between the foot pads is very matted... I've seen some cherry-tomato sized mats growing under there that need to be clipped..... think of what it would feel like to walk with a large, hard marble under your foot.

The longer that the toenails are allowed to grow out, the longer the 'quick', or vein may grow also.... and once the quick gets long, it prevents the clipping of the nail back beyond that point (without drawing blood, that is). I like to see nails clipped at least every two months, but some dogs' nails grow very quickly and should even be done monthly. If you can't or don't like to do your dogs' nails at home, most groomers (and vets) charge a fairly small fee for 'just nails'- they'll do them while you wait....

This foot problems are probably more common than you would think... many people pet and play with their dogs regularly, but don't think to examine those feet.

If your dog has those mats underneath, please be very cautious if you're thinking of trying to get them out with scissors... it can be difficult to do and in many cases it's safer to have them shaved out.

Anyway, just thought I throw this out there... toenails are hidden on some dogs so they're not always noticed... and please check those pads.

2. Rene

Rene New Member

Hello thanks for the reminder i NEED to get sebastain and Jasmine to the groomer asap

thanks
    Rene

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Hi Karma,

:idea: Your post is a great reminder because nails are often overlooked by many owners who just say that they're dogs will wear them down.

I've seen a lot of beautifully groomed dogs with really bad looking feet (matted fur and overgrown nails).

I clip Rocky's nails monthly ( he's a quick nail grower) and have a groomer that aways does his nails every time he goes for a cut (it's included in the price)

4. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Good reminder post ! :eek:

5. nessa1880

nessa1880 New Member

Thanks for the reminder I just called and made Angel an appt for Saturday for the full groom. I just love seeing her after she is all washed and cut!! :eek:

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

That is a great reminder Karma!!! :idea:

I too have seen dogs with such conditions as you have mentioned...not a pretty sight!

7. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I just happened to do my two's nails last night.

Nessa. Girl, where have you been? Its nice to have you back.

8. bellasmommy

bellasmommy New Member

plan on doing bella's tonight. i have to clip hers every other week or weekly. her quick is just so long. i've discussed it with the vet and groomers, they tell me that it's just really long and to keep on trimming the nails carefully.

i've heard i could shorten the quick by keeping them well filed, but i don't think bellla would allow me to do this. any other suggestions?

9. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Yes, that statement is indeed true. To shorten the quick, or keep the quick at a decent length, one must keep the nails filed or clipped back (I don't file my dogs' nails, just clip them). Besides those two things, I don't know that there is much else you can do. :D

10. karma

karma New Member

I'm not sure whether you can actually SHORTEN the quick just by keeping them filed or clipped. I've been under the impression that the only way to shorten the quick is to actually cut it back, which involves making it bleed. I'm not the last word on this topic, though.

I do know that you can KEEP them at the present length by keeping the nail back as far as possible. Just doing this will also keep the quick back.

In extreme cases, vets can (well, so can groomers, but I won't) cut way back to shorten the quick. Ideally, you don't want the nails hitting the ground when the dog is just standing. Some quicks have grown so long that the nail extends so far that they can't be kept clipped back (without bleeding) and the vet may opt for this.

11. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Hi Karma~

I too questioned that the very first time I heard someone mention it. I mean, how can that be, right? Well, I was assured by several people that it was true, and later witnessed it with my very own eyes. There was a dog in the shelter that had really long nails, with fairly long quicks. So, I would routinely keep up with clipping of his nails, and after a fairly short amount of time, the quick in his nails had retreated back to a much more favorable length! It was pretty neat to see!

(*I should note though that if the quick is already at a favorable, and fairly short length, it is not like you can make them SUPER short through clipping or filing...the shortening is more for longer quicks. Although, this method is not always feasible, especially dogs with outrageously long nails that require medical attention.)

Just thought I would share! :D

12. karma

karma New Member

MBSP-

And this was done without bleeding them?

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't at all saying this was impossible. I'm just wondering how cutting nails back short causes the vein to recede. I think I've heard this claim before, though, but have not as yet heard an explanation. If you, or anyone, knows of a source, let me know. Love to learn new stuff!

And it's on my next 'vet visit list.' :)

13. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Absolutely! You don't purposely cut into the quick (that is what you want to avoid). On a consistent and continual basis, keep the nails trimmed back as far as possible without hitting the quick. The key is not to let the nail get long again. Within a somewhat short amount of time, you will notice the quick slowly but surely getting shorter and shorter back to a "normal" length. *It will NOT go back any further than the normal length though!

Again, this is not possible on all dogs with nails that have grown grossly long, for those will require professional veterinary attention. But it does work for certain situations.

I had asked my groomer about this, whether it was true, and if she had actually seen it happen, and she said it was true as weird as it may seem.

Oh no, I didn't think you were saying it was impossible. I just thought I would share info. I had received on this topic, and my personal experience with it. :idea:

I too have asked the same question, and received a medical explanation for it, but for fear that I will mix up some of the terminology and not accurately explain it, I won't attempt. :wink: Basically it is a naturally occurring "thing" that will happen if such a method is used (given that it is the right type of situation).

Like you said though, it would be great if there was some kind of written source that could explain it thoroughly! :D

14. raindigger

raindigger New Member

Karma, I understand what you are saying. I've worked at several show kennels over the years and short nails were imparitive. There was no way, no matter how often we clipped or dremeled, to recede the quick without bleeding them and I hated it. Also worked for a large vet clinic for six years and none of the vets said it was possible. If there is a way, I and my groomer pals would love to learn.

15. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Since it is a show kennel, the nails should not be grossly long to begin with, so that would not be a situation in which the method would work/be needed. Therefore, one should not expect the quick to shorten despite routine clipping of the nails!

I see there is a difference in opinion between those vets and other professionals that you and I have spoken with, and our personal experience. Such a difference in opinion is great and most definitely welcomed (always great to hear two sides of things). Therefore, I guess it depends on who you ask, and what you have personally witnessed.

Just my thoughts! :D