1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Please help!!! Cat sick. Won't eat.

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by mazyku, Apr 3, 2004.

1. mazyku

mazyku New Member

Our 4 year old female cat has been sick for a month. She has lost several pounds and is now down to 5 lbs 8 oz. She has lost a pound in two days! We have made several trips to the vet within the month for fluids and anitibiotics. He has done lab work for the FIV and LEUCEM's, all of which have come back normal. Her white blood count though came back very high. She has been running a fever from 103 to 105 being the highest. Her symptoms are very little eating, extreme weight loss, and she is sleeping a lot. She did bounce back a little but got worst after I gave her IAM's salomn food which she threw up because there was an inch bone in it and also with blood. (Never will feed that to any of my cats again!) The vet thought that she may have scratched her throat. The vet is at loss and frustrated and so are we. We have tried to force feed her, give her liquid vitamins and baby food. Has anyone ever had this happen to one of their cats???? The vet this morning is thinking that she may have cancer. She is sooo weak and he does not think she will make it through the weekend. Please help us!!! We dont want to loose her. :cry:

Thanks for your comments. I am new at this message board and do not know how to reply with additional comments. Our kitty is still the same. The vet has had her on for about 4 weeks two antibiotics and something to increase her appetite. I have started to force feed her kitty formula every hour. It is breaking our hearts to see her like this and how fast it has come on. I will keep you posted on her, hopefully, improvements.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

have they done a complete blood panel to check her kidney and liver functions? I wonder about renal failure - some of her symptons sound a lot like a cat I had who had CRF...she lived for 6 years with it.

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I'm sorry about your kitty. A high white blood cell count can be caused by infection, inflammation and some forms of cancer or leukemia. Ask your vet if you can see if antibiotics will do any good. At this rate your kitty needs to be taking something to get that fever down. If one vet has no clue about what is wrong with your cat then I would suggest taking your kitty to another vet for a diagnosis. Ask your friends, neighbors or family if they recommend a particular vet.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. At the bottom of the last page on a post (on the lower left side) it says: 'post reply.' Click on this and you can then type in your message. When you are done scroll down and click submit. I'm sorry your kitty is not doing well. Please keep us posted. I wish your kitty all the best.

5. mazyku

mazyku New Member

Thank you.

Thank you for caring. We heard from the vet today on yesterdays blood work. No results today. The lab did not run the blood test last night. They will be doing it today and will hear from the vet tomorrow. Was up until 4 a.m. force feeding her kitty formula on the hour. She ate very little this a.m. and I got about 2 1/2 teaspoons of pedialite in her. She feels warm so I am going to keep forcing the fluids. Only time will tell what is going on. I wish the pet psychic's were not so expensive. I would love to have one talk to her and find out if she would be getting better or would it be time to let her go and put her to rest. It's such a hard decision for all of us to make. Keep us in your prayers. Thanks.

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. Keep us posted and let us know what you find out from the vet.

7. mazyku

mazyku New Member

NEWS ON MISSY

Got word from the vet yesterday on Missy's new labs. Apparently, she has two problems. The first being anemia with the blood cells that do not regenerate themselves. The other being some sort of problem with her intestines. The cure for it is a shot of cortisone which would deplete her immune system even more. He is not sure and it was very hard to retain all that he was saying. He is not giving up yet on her and we have been force feeding her all weekend. She is some what better but not even 50%. I do have another vet visit on Wednesday morning with a dr who is specific to cats. My boss has been wonderful allowing me to come home at lunch time to feed her. She even offered for me to bring the cat to work. I would be I work for a family physician and patients are allergic. Besides I feel better leaving her in her own enviorment. I will keep everone posted on Missy. Prayers please! Thanks. [-o<

8. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. Thanks for the update. It's nice to have a good boss that understands these things. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for your kitty. When you get more info, please let us know.

9. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

POOR KITTY.

Does the cat have a name?

I hope you keep us posted. It is good that your work is so understanding. AND YOU SEEM TO BE DOING A GREAT JOB TAKING CARE OF THE KITTEN. KEEP IT UP.

GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES.

I had to edit to fix a mistake. :)

10. mazyku

mazyku New Member

UPDATE ON MISSY>

Just wanted to let you know that Missy is holding her own. She looks like she has put on some weight. My husband and I are feeding her supplement drink, kitten milk, and liquid vitamins. She fights us when we do it which is a slight change from before. We are allowing her to roam the house rather than keeping her confined to one room. Tomorrow we are taking her to a new vet that just takes care of cats. Hopefully, he can pin point the problem. Thanks for all your concerns. We will keep you posted on Missy's progress.

11. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

will be waiting to hear...I have a Missy too!!!!

12. mazyku

mazyku New Member

MISSY'S NEW VET VISIT.

Just wanted everyone to know that we took Missy to a vet this morning who specializes in cats only. After he looked over the two blood work reports and gave her an exam, he said that he felt a mass in the sterum area where the stomach and everything meet. His suggestion was to do an ultra sound with a biopsy to see what we were dealing with and it would also help us make a more informed decision on what to do for her. SHE DID GAIN A POUND!!!! Her daddy and I were so proud of her. Today is her daddy's birthday and she ate all by herself. What a present for him! I am still praying really hard that it is just a problem that can be surgically treated. In a heartbeat I would do it for her and not think of the $$$. We love her very much. So, please keep her in your prayers and thoughts. We will keep you posted.

13. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

Missy is a great name. Thanks I like to know who I am crossing fingers and praying for.

I am glad you found a vet who only works with cats. We have one in our town and she is wounderful. These vet can find and fix problems so much faster than other vets since they only work with cats. (it is kinda like an eye doctor vs a regular MD-the eye doctor will know much more than the MD about an eye problem-I think you know what I mean).

Keep us posted.
    GOOD LUCK

14. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

auspet question

I wanted to ask if anyone know why when I tried to sign on to any board or auspet yesterday afternoon I keep getting a message that said "max users ...." something like have signed in or used the board today???????????????? So I was unalbe to see anything last night.

Anyone have a clue????????????

15. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

kristisanchez: the site was down for a few hours. Auspet has having problems with their server. It's fine now.

16. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

Chessmind: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!

17. mazyku

mazyku New Member

UPDATE ON MISSY!

I took Missy to the vet today for her ultrasound. I felt so bad leaving her there but I knew we needed to know what was going on. Yesterday evening MIssy started eating and drinking on her own. It was a great to see this!! So, I was very hopeful that we would at least have some sort of answer today. Well, I received a call from the vet tell me that he found a large mass in Missy's stomach area. It does not seem to be attached to any of her organs. He could not see the pancreas as the mass was hindering him getting the pictures. He did also do a biopsy and we will find out tomorrow the results of it as to whether it is cancerous or not. At least my husband and I will know what needs to be done. They told me when I picked her up that she was such a good girl and that she was very HUNGRY and ate on her own! So, I am hoping for an Easter miracle for my little Missy. I wish I knew how to attach a picture to this so that you all could see how adoreable she is. Please keep your fingers crossed and your prayers coming. Thanks. Will let you know the results of the biopsy when I get them. I am so happy to have found this forum and happy for all of you who are so concerned over her. Again, thanks.

18. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

Mazyku:
    About atching pictures please go to the form called Poor, poor guppies at the following web site or do a search for the title:

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

There a lady named tina wrote (ON TEH 9TH POST DATED MARCH 24TH TO ME TELLING ME HOW TO POST PICTURES.

IF YOU GO TO YEEPEE I HAVE BABIE GUPIES (FINALLY!!!) -DO THE SAME THING TO GET TO THIS PAGE AS BEFORE.
    http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gupie

YOU CAN SEE THAT FOLLOWING TINA'S DIRECTIONS MADE IT WASY FOR ME TO POST PICTURES OF MY NEW BABY FRY.

If you have any questions please fell free to ask. I am now able to help others just as TINA helped me.

THANK YOU TINA!!!!!!!

KEEP US POSTED ON THE PROGRESS OF MISSY.

I AM GOING TO GO TAKE PICTURES OF MY CAT'S AND POST THEM IN A FEW MINUTES.

19. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Mazyku. Thanks for the update. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your kitty. You seem to have some help with pic posting, but here is one more in case you are still having problems.

Go to www.photoisland.com Choose the sign-up free and fill out the membership form. Go to Upload Pictures and use the BROWSE button to browse to where you have the pictures saved on your computer. Choose UPLOAD. On the left side of the screen choose MY ALBUM LIST: Personal (or whatever you named your album) This will display your pictures.. click on one.. Now on the left choose LINK FOR AUCTION.. Copy the URL FOR YOUR PHOTO. Then come back here. Reply to the post you want your pic in. Click on the Img button (above next to List= and URL). Then paste the URL that you copied from photoisland. Then click Img again. Then click submit. Good luck.

20. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

Here are a few quick shots of my cats. Today was major laundry dau SO CAN ANYONE GUESS WERE ONE OF MY CATS WERE?????????? HARD QUESTION HUH :D

This is Lucky and you guess it she was on my son CLEAN laundry.
    [​IMG]

This is another picture of Lucky trying to get to the computer. (I think the flash made her close her eyes a bit).
    [​IMG]

This is Indiana she is on her mama's bed (she mama's girl).
    [​IMG]

Another picture of Indiana.
    [​IMG]

MAZYKU: I HOPE YOU ARE ABLE TO GET SOME PICTURES POSTED.