1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Please help if you have a King Charles Spaniel

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by DogLover, Sep 10, 2004.

1. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Hi there,
    These days I have been paying a lot of attention to Chobby's belly. I think he's getting really chubby. Since his knees are not very strong, I am really concerned about his weight.

Chobby is about 5 months old. I'm feeding him with Healthwise. He gets about 1 cup of dry food a day. Someone from the pet store told me that I probably should reduce the amount to 1/3 cup per meal. Now, Chobby gets 1/2 cup per meal.

How much are you feeding your Cav a day or per meal???

Thanks!

2. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Hi there!

Well, I don't have a King Charles Spaniel, but I wanted to respond anyhow. My advice would be to talk to your vet. He/She should know whether your puppy is at a healthy weight :D

Good luck!

3. DogLover

DogLover New Member

PooGirl, thanks for your reponse.

I didn't ask the vet for recommendation on this because she kept saying that I should feed my dog with Science Diet. I tried feeding Science Diet before, but no matter what, Chobby refused to eat it. Later on, I found out that Science Diet's got some funny stuff in it.

I've reduced the meal slightly these days, and Chobby's belly is not as rounded as it used to be. Of course, I didn't starve him...

4. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I'd love to see an updated pic of your Chubby Chobby!! :)

5. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Gotcha! There are so many opinions on what to feed dogs that's for sure! I did a lot of research on food, before I got my girls, and a breeder recommended Back to Basics. I too had read all about the "funny stuff", preservatives, fillers etc. in many of the foods and I just didn't want my girls eating that. So, human grade food it was! They thrive on it, there coats are so shiny and soft and they enjoy it!

I'm glad that you found what works! And, I'm with Monster, I'd love to see pics also!!

6. DogLover

DogLover New Member

I'm amazed by how much impact the food ingredients have on the dogs. At first, I didn't know much about the difference between a bad and a good food. I ended up letting my boy try Science Diet and Eukanuba. I immediately dumped them into trash and switch Chobby's diet to Healthwise after I read the messages posted on this forum. Yeah, the coats turn so soft and shiny within just a few weeks.

Here's one recent picture of Chobby. Look at his belly!!! Everyone in my neighborhood says he's chubby.
    [​IMG]

7. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Oh he's adorable!!!

Our breeder gave us a puppy care video the day we picked up our girls and in the video they talked about a "Healthy Hug".

A "Healthy Hug" is something you should always give your pets... and here's their theory on it. While your puppy/dog is standing, rub your hands down the length of him/her. You should be able to feel his/her ribs (you should NEVER be able to see their ribs, just feel them..). If you can feel the ribs, they are probably at a healthy weight. If you can't, that may mean that they are a bit overweight, and of course if you can see their ribs they are probably too skinny.

It makes sense to me so I've been giving my girls healthy hugs since day 1 :mrgreen:

8. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Great point Christine, the method you described is an excellent way of assessing whether your dog is overweight or not. As a matter of fact, many vets use that same technique! :y_the_best:

DogLover~

Chobby is adorable!!! :eek:

9. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Thanks. And yes, I can still feel his ribs, barely that is. He's not that overweighted. I just need to be more careful about his food. I think Chobby has adjusted himself to the reduced amount of food intake, and his craving for food is not as strong. :)

Haha I want to share a story... There are more than 250 townhouses in our complex. Many, many units have dogs. Throughout the past few months, Chobby has made quite several friends. A friend to Chobby is someone that doesn't bark at him and accepts his smelling/hugging. Every evening, when we take the walk around the complex, Chobby would stop by his every friend's house, only those he knew. I can't even remember their street number, but Chobby would know who lives where. In the past few days, he didn't get to see any of his friends, and oh mine...he was so disappointed. He stood in front of their units and tried to look into their window from the distance. When he realized that he couldn't meet his friends, he looked at me and talked in a sad tone. When this happened, I always told him "it's okay, Chobby, we'll come by tomorrow."

At time like that, I wished I could have another dog in the family. Perhaps, Chobby would be happier.

10. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Awww, I think Chobby needs furry friend at home to fill that void...why not get another pup, from what you say, it sounds like Chobby would love it!!! :y_the_best:

Just a thought! :D

11. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Yeah, he loves to have a friend for sure. But, I am not mentally prepared to have two dogs. In fact, Chobby is mellow and well-mannered, and he never caused any troubles. I am not sure how it will be if we introduce another dog to him. My fear is, two dogs might be naughty and get into troubles often.

Any suggestion and comments?

12. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

As with most puppies, they always find some sort of mischief to get into! :wink: Whether Chobby would get into the mischief with the puppy isn't an easy question to answer, he may, or he may not. But with proper training and correction from the get-go, it shouldn't be too bad!

If you have any family or friends close by who have a dog that's friendly toward other dogs, it would be great if he/she could bring their dog over to see how Chobby does with another dog in "his" home!

Many dogs just like having a companion to play with and to have around to keep them company! :D

13. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Yeah, we should invite neighbors with dogs to our place. Chobby does well when he's in the neighbor's place, but we never had a chance to have another dog come over. I am very curious though. Chobby never played with other dogs' toys, but I don't know if he would let others touch his toys. It would be interesting to find out...

14. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Yes, it would be a great idea to have other dogs come to your home to see how Chobby would do! :y_the_best: Now, some only-dogs do take a little while to adjust to having another dog in the home, but after that adjustment period, they are best friends forever (but of course, some dogs simply must be the only-dog, it really depends on the dog). You'll have to let us know if you decide to get another puppy!!!

:D

15. papillon/mom

papillon/mom New Member

:eek: :eek: Awwwwww! Chobby sure is cute. I was looking into that breed when I was puppy hunting also; they are sooo cute! :love_y_t_much:

I did try to have friends over for Max who was maybe 9-10 months at the time. He was very aggresive at first. That is one thing I will say Max does not like visitors at his house. I did get another dog and was very nervous it was the same time I noticed how Max was. I read a little, w/lots of help from all of you, they are best friends. :bow_now: I just introduced them on neutral territory and it was love at first sight :kiss_heart: I think it is a very good idea to have pet visitors to get Chobby used to friends coming over. :wink:

16. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Yeah, everyone is telling me the same thing, to invite another dog over to our place and see how Chobby reacts to the other dog in "his" territory. Sigh...I'm still debating with myself. And, I don't know if I would want another Cavalier or another breed... I am not confident that I could split my love for Chobby to love another doggie...it's one of my concerns.

However, Chobby is really easily satisfied. When he had enough fun with other neighbor dogs, he would be very happy. The thing is, we only meet some of his friends once or twice a week.