1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me, help my puppy! Parvo diagnosis

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by pleasehelpmypup, May 18, 2004.

1. pleasehelpmypup

pleasehelpmypup New Member

We have an 11 week old Shepard/Lab mix puppy that we just got a week ago (his vet appt. for shots was set for the following Wed.). He was diagnosed by the vet 1 1/2 days ago as having Parvo. We cannot afford the "in hospital" care, so our vet sent us home with all of the supplies to try at home care (i.e. I.V, fluids, special food, antibiotics, anti vomiting med, and Kaopectac) We have done everything exactly as prescribed. He has seemed to "perk" up a bit, got him to finally drink water from his bowl yesterday. No interest in food whatsoever and I am terrified. I saw the postings in the past about Parvaid and a homemade tea recipe. can anyone help out with the recipe or other recipe suggestions. Please! We love him so much, my 4 year old named him Sarge and he is already a part of our family. Others suggested we put him down, but I won't give him up without a fight. Please help us!

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Here is a link to Parvaid info: http://www.ambertech.com/using.html They claim that the recipe for the emergency tea will be at the bottom of your sales receipt so you can use it while waiting for the Parvaid to arrive. I think that's a bit crappy of them to not just distribute the recipe. Hopefully someone else here has it.

If you would like to e-mail me for the name of a homeopath, please do so at jamia_w@hotmail.com. She charges around $100 for the initial consultaion and remedy, which she ships to you.

Jamiya

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I found the tea recipe on an old post by Maisey:

Jamiya

4. pleasehelpmypup

Jamiya- THank you very very much! I really appreciate your help. I am so tired and scared I can't even remember how to search on-line! Thank you for your help. Probably seems strange that we love him so much already, but we do. Thank you.

5. Zekesmom

Zekesmom New Member

I am hoping for the best!! I feel for you because my puppy had parvo. But I got him from the humane society so they took him back and nursed him back to health. It took five days and he was quarantined. I am sure you are careful but to make me feel better, be very clean about everything. Since the virus is passed through the stool it can be very dangerous to your pup or other puppies. This is why the whole litter usually gets infected. The "perk up" sounds promising!! The vet called everyday and let me know how Zeke was and when he used the words perked up I felt very happy. Hopefully he is recovering. I am glad he is in your family and you noticed something was wrong!! Please keep me informed.

6. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Our female Dane 1997
    had it and the one thing we did learn was to keep them on the
    Meds and fluids way after they seem to be doing better. We keep her on the meds for close to 6 months and the IV for better then 4 weeks. It seems they can have relapse if taken off stuff to soon. You may want to talk to a herbalist vet as we did. We were given some kind of oil that we gave her everyday for months to help digest her food and coat he intestines. She made it but it did affect her growth and she had to stay on a soft diet for the rest of her life. We had her fixed as soon as we could ,the vet said it would be very bad for her to come in season. She only lived a few years (4) and many problems with her health. I am not sure we did her a favor by not let her go, but it is the choice we made to try and give her as much happiness for as long as she was around. I'll say a prayer for the both of you.

2pyrs

7. pleasehelpmypup

Thank you all very much. This has been so crazy. Sarge fought us this morning during the I.V. when normally he has been too weak to even care. So, I hope that is a good sign too. I went out earlier and bought Calrite nutritional supp. and Pediolyte and makings of the Parvaid tea for him. I have been a FREAK about the cleaning thing! And something I have not read in alot of the postings is the distinctive odor of Parvo. YUCK! My soon to be 4yr old son had Rotivirus, which seems very similar to Parvo,and it also has an odor I will never forget. This little puppy is so smart and loving, in one week he had learned to come, sit, potty training already, lay down and shake. And he is such a loving little boy. Your prayers and comments are sincerley appreciated.

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

To help with the fear factor, it IS possible that the little guy will pull through just fine with no complications. A dog I looked at adopting from the shelter (I *really* wanted that guy!) had parvo as a pup and you would never have known it.

Good luck, and let us know how the little guy is doing!

Jamiya

9. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

We had a dog that got parvo and we didnt have an iv . but i gave it antibodics and pedalyte and made it take the pedalyte real often sopmetimes it would comer back up but id just try again also be sure to wash things with bleach that he is on and around . as this can stay and spread really bad.

10. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

I am so sorry about your baby .Parvo is a very long drawn out illness .
    The main thing is to keep fluids in them and antibiotics .I am so sorry ,I have seen it ,help to treat it ,lost and won with it .It runs rampant in this area and in most of the South ,midwest . boil some chicken ,chicken broth is strenthening and will help to coat the stomach ,give in a 12 cc syringe in the mouth as often as you can .Alternate that with the tea and other ,also bbe prepared to only take catnaps as the puppy will need this nourshment 24 hours a day and not just during day hours .If you think I can help ,please Pm me ...I will pray for your baby ...

11. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

The bad smell you smell is the dehydration. When my dog years ago had parvo, that was one of the factors that I knew she was really sick was the smell. By the way, my dog made a full recovery and lived to be a ripe old age.

12. ilovemaltipoos

kindness ....teh first one I ever saved ...I had nothign but broth off chicken .I was young and had no money ,did not know what to do ,dog was sick when I found it ...I stayed up night and day and fed it over and over ...next ones I knew to get gatorade /pedialyte and then started a routine ,lost some ,saved some .next time I lost ..It is a win or lose and sometimes a long hard road .
    The smell is actually the diesease ,starts in the intestines ,causes cramps ,intense pain ,they do not want to eat /drink ,actually with have a tighly closed mouth (locked down almost ),you have to pry it open ....so sad ,they can also easily choke ,go slow and repeat over and over..

13. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I don't know why, I keep remembering back from Vet Tech school, but it seems with parvo dogs the Vets gave them vitamin K in the i.v. solution, also. Every time I hear about a parvo pup, this keeps popping into my head. Maybe someone on the board knows for sure, or you can call your vet and ask. If you find out, let me know.

14. ilovemaltipoos

yes ,vitamin k is given and can help .

15. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

A while back I rescued a pup that had parvo...and it really annoys me that the vet did not give me the option to care for the pup at home. I also could not afford the care and I wasnt ready to spend that much on a dog I'd only had for less than a day. Since I wasnt ready to pay the 250 per day for at least a week...they gave me no other option. Really makes me disgusted.

Apologize for the digression, I wish you the best of luck with your dog. IT takes awhile to come back from parvo so he wont perk up right away. Im praying for you and your pup!

16. pleasehelpmypup

Thanks to all. We seem to be holding our own. Sarge did not like the tea at all! He has thrown up a very small amount only twice since Sunday morning early. He has started fighting me on the meds too, he growled and bit at the syringe, which was just fine with me! He also wagged his tail last night and licked us. He went straight to his water dish when we brought him in from going potty which is something he always does and of course, has not been doing since the Parvo. I am trying not to get a head of myself though. We think he got the full symptoms on Thursday so day five is today. I am hoping that we are rounding the corner, but, I am aware how cruel this illness can be. I want to kill the people who were going to give him to the pound! We now think it was because they knew he had been exposed to Parvo. This poor baby! But, my husband and I both will not give up! Thank you all again, we had no idea how much this support would mean to us.

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Wonderful news! Hopefully he will continue to get better. At least after he recovers you won't ever have to worry about parvo with him again!

Do make sure you disinfect your house and yard thoroughly when he is better. Parvo can live for a very long time, and you don't want to expose any future dogs.

Jamiya

18. pleasehelpmypup

I will. The ironic part is my husband works for a large national lawn care company and I told him we have to kill the lawn he has worked so hard on!!! He said fine with him!

19. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Good for him! I have read, however, that the bleach solution you can use on your lawn won't kill it. I believe it is 1 part chlorine bleach to 30 parts water. Can anyone else verify?

Jamiya

20. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Jamiya: I found this:

Use 1:30 ratio of chlrine bleach and water to clean food and water bowls, (4oz of bleach to 1gal. of water.) Wash any bedding the dog has been contact with in this same solution and hot water. You should also try to disinfect any other areas that the dog has been, like linoleum, concrete kennels, crates, etc.

If you have had parvo in your home, use the strong bleach/water to kill it. Soak the yard with it- better to kill the grass. Parvo can live up to 6 Mths or so in your home and yard.