1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Please Help, My Cat Is Making "khack"ing noises!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by kakage, Jun 17, 2004.

1. kakage

kakage New Member

My kitty who is around...about 8 months old, I'd say....just make "khack"ing sounds after I put her down. :shock: I mean...like....the was like... KHACK.....! KHACK! You know....it scared me..... She throws up a lot, at least once a week, and I am just wondering if I should take her to the vet. Please help!!!

>and these boards are JUST like the ones on Gaia.... :shock: <

2. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

throwing up...even once a week is not a good sign, unless she is just getting into things because she is a kitten (sometimes they get into foods they shouldnt eat, or eating her toys...like just a situational kind of thing)

you have to be careful with kittens because they do get into everything and alot of things are toxic to them...onions, milk, chocolate, poisons, etc.

have you read how to kitten proof your house?

also, alot of human food will make them throw up. also some cat food is too rich for their systems. is she on a high protein, high quality kitten food?

is the "khacking" sound like a choking sound? i would take her to the vet as soon as you can. has she had her immunizations?

its hard to respond when there is just limited info.

good luck, but i would seek help immediately...let us know...

3. kakage

kakage New Member

Well, she DOES eat all of the crumbs we drop on the ground from time to time. We got her from the streets, she was a garbage cat, and so I think she has some digestion problems.... But she HAS had her immunizations, and she has been eating the same cat food for all her indoor life, which she has no problem with. I'll tell my mom about it. Thank you so much for your help ^^

4. vene

vene New Member

I agree. Take her to the vet. Throwing up 1X a week does not sound good.
    Is your cat shedding yet? My cats did not start shedding until they were about 1 yr old. Then they started puking every once in a while because they ingest too much of their fur. A Zoom Groom for grooming their fur is a good investment. It's about $7 from Petsmart. Provided they don't have any health problems, grooming them will cut down on the puke part. Does your cat chew the food? My Pumpkin likes to swallow food whole so she will tend to puke often when she eats too much at once. Milo will overgorge himself sometimes and puke. Monty will puke if I buy new foods, soft + hard that his body is not used to. Once I made the mistake of feeding him beef + chicken and he projectile puked on my rug. Yuck! Who ever heard of cats hunting cows? I hope you find out what's wrong with your kitty! Keep us posted.

:0024:

5. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

My cat threw up once or twice in the past week and I didn't know what was causing it because he's had all his shots and is in otherwise perfect health.

I finally figured it out when I took his water bowl apart for a monthly cleaning. There was some sort of black gunk growing deep in the recesses of the pump and stuff (he has one of those waterfall ones). I figure it has something to do with that because his throw up last time was mostly water.

I cleaned it out a sterilized it with hot water and scrubbed it for a good hour. There were also some white calcium-type deposits on the waterfall part because the water here in K-Zoo is NASTY!! You pour it into a glass and it's literally yellow and has all sorts of stuff floating around in it.

I thought that the filter in his waterbowl would do the trick but apparently because the water is so bad I need to change the filter more often than "regular". Also I use a Brita filter for my OWN drinking water and stuff so now I use that filtered water to pour into his bowl. So, now he's getting double-filtered water and hasn't thrown up since.

My poor baby, I always get so worried when he's sick or hurt. :cry:

6. footsie

footsie New Member

Is it a rapid khacking noise, or a throw up kind. Lots of cats make a chirping sort of noise when they see birds or something else they want to hunt.

7. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

please dont get me wrong...i do take this problem seriously...but it is kind of like trying to explain to your car mechanic what kind of sound your car is making....is it is high squeal...or a low hum?

i know that chirping sound. max makes it even when birds arent around. i sort of suspect it is a worrisome sound...not normal like the cat is in distress.

let us know the outcome....

8. kakage

kakage New Member

Well, my cat just made...nto throw-up noises, her throw-up noises come from her stomach, kinfd of like a flopping sound....ew. Anyway, the noises she was making here just like a cry cough, only it did kind of sound like she might have been choking on something.

Moto DOES chew her food, and I change her water every day.

She makes the "chirp"ing noises when she sees birds or something, I know because she sits beside me in front of the sliding glass door chirping at the birds.

As for shedding, she does, but very little. I do beleive she is on the brink of living a year, but I do not know because we got her off of the streets.

And she's a very smart cat...I just want to know whart's wrong with her T_T

9. nern

nern New Member

Could she be trying to cough up a hairball? Some of mine make a hacking sound for a bit and then often cough up a hairball later on.

10. kakage

kakage New Member

Maybe, but the thing is that she HASN'T coughed anything up.... but she does lick herself about two hours a day, so.....it could be. I'll keep an eye out for hairballs.

11. nern

nern New Member

Maybe you could try a hairball paste and see if that helps at all. Best of luck.

12. kakage

kakage New Member

Thanks ^^

13. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

pretty, pretty kitty...love the avatar!