1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

PLEASE HELP WITH MY GOLDFISH

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by freak1015, Mar 10, 2008.

1. freak1015

freak1015 New Member

1 you shouldent have a 9 in fish with 6 1-2in fish in a 30 gal tank. its to small! i recomend that you get another 30 gal tank and move 5 of the smaller fish in it.

sincerly,

freak1015

2. freak1015

freak1015 New Member

oh, by the way, the fish is not sick. just is extremly cramped. NOT LOL, i seen the rosy reds tank. there are like 100of em in there. maby more! STOP BEING LIKE WAL-MART, TAKE MY ADVICE. BY!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Wow.... Freak1015 do you really need to "yell" at snifflebear?? Your posts come across like you know everything and they better listen to you.
    You can have 1 inch of fish per gallon, granted snifflebear is pushing the limits of the tank and should move some. And they would most likely all do better. They don't have to get another 30 gal, get what ever works for them. The fish could very well have swim bladder disease or some other equilibrium disorder, but you discount that fact. Have you seen the fish in question?? How about giving advise and ideas not "ordering" them what to do that isn't that the idea of a forum. But really using all caps and telling someone to stop being like walmart and take your advice..... please. I find that very rude and pushy no wonder Snifflebear has not posted since.

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

7 goldfish in a 30 gallon tank? That's more than pushing the limits of a 30 gallon aquarium, it's basically busting right through them.

The thing you should understand is that Goldfish are messy (waste wise) and need much more space than the general rule of 1 inch of fish per gallon as their size is not solely made up of length but also width (rounder bodies), it's usually wise to allocate atleast 15-20 gallons per goldfish if for nothing else just to handle the waste they produce. A healthy goldfish is not supposed to stay small (they should be generally 4-6 inches for the smaller varieties, larger than 8" for some of the larger ones), if they do they are stunted usually due to being kept in a tank that is too small which isn't healthy for the fish. They're generally better suited for ponds that indoor aquariums unless you have the space for a huge tank.

To give you a quick idea of goldfish size I'll take a page out of T_chelle16's page.

These are two healthy sized goldfish in a 37 gallon tall tank, now can you imagine 7 of them in there and still being healthy?
    [​IMG]

It could be a swim bladder disorder but it can also be due to poor water quality caused by an overstocked aquarium. What are your reading for Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite?

5. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Aqueous, I totally agree with you and yes goldfish are very "dirty" fish and yes they do belong in a pond or a large tank. I think that a lot of people see goldfish and think that they are the "easiest" of the fish and that is not at all true. They do require a lot more cleaning and monitoring of the nitrates and ammonia due to their waste. It has been awhile since I had goldfish and forgot about the round belly size and all. I would like to thank you for giving up ideas and helpful hints on what to check next for snifflebear. It is nice to see friendly forum posts.