1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Please help!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by oscarboi, May 14, 2004.

1. oscarboi

oscarboi New Member

My two oscars have white spot disease. Im short on money so i cant buy medicine. Is there anything i can do until i get the money?

2. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

please help

Do you mean ick? Are the white spots small like salt? If so, Raise the aquarium temperature to around 85 (depending on what if any other fish you have). Add some non iodized aquarium salt 1 tsp per gallon. Give the infected fish a 10 day saltwater treatment (or progressive salt bath) it's easy, 1 tsp per gallon in the hospital tank, then that night add the same amount again and twice the next day (morning and night)If the fish are not better by the third day then add 1 more tsp each day. On the ninth and tenth day make progressive water changes. This should at the very least help to slow down the parasite and if you are lucky it may cure them. When you have $ buy the ick meds at the L.F.S. cause they work fast!!! Take care, and I hope your fish get better soon! :(

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Re: please help

That's an awful lot of salt for a freshwater fish.

I've had good luck just raising the temp to about 86* and adding 1tbsp aquarium salt (remember, not table salt)/5 gallons. The only salt you should add after that is just to make up for any new water you've added when doing your normal water changes (ie. if you remove 10 gallons during a water change, add 2 tbsp salt). 1 week after the last spot has disappeared do 25% water changes over the next few days to gradually remove the salt.

EDIT: Keep in mind if you have any scaleless fish like plecos, other catfish, or loaches, you can't use salt. So pretty much your only choice will be to use a med that's safe for scaleless fish. Rid Ich+ and Clear Ich are the only 2 I know of.

-Chelle

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

seperate them from any other fish so none other can catch it. if you get quick cure it will only cost about a dollar fifty.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually, if you remove the infected fish and treat them in a hospital tank, you'll get rid of the ich on them, but it will still be in the main tank.

-Chelle

6. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

i guess that is true. well still seperate them and treat them yet also put a small amount of treatment in the water in the main tank

7. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

I got it from a book. A saltwater treatment for freshwater fish with ich. The Everything Tropical Fish Book. I just double checked the bookafter your comment and it is accurate. I have done this a couple of times and it worked.