1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Pleco vs Catfish Question

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Heather&Nicole, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Heather&Nicole

Heather&Nicole New Member

Would i have to get plecos if i got albino catfish? I had a pleco in my moms tank a long time ago when we had a 20 gallon tank and it grew to be like 18 inches and ate all the fish....i dont want that to happen in my 55 gallon tank...any suggestions as to bottom feeding algea eaters for that large of a tank?

2. Heather&Nicole

Also..where can i buy albino plecos like this?

[​IMG]

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you mean an albino channel cat, don't get it. They get 4 feet long and really aren't suited for most aquariums.

If you want an albino pleco, you can try asking if your LFS will order one for you.

-Chelle

4. Heather&Nicole

i saw small albino catfish at petsmart, im not sure if it was a channel cat or not, but it was so cute!!

is there any special care for albino fish in general?

5. Heather&Nicole

whats LFS?

6. Heather&Nicole

ah i found the catfish i was talkin about its a cory cat

[​IMG]

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

LFS = Local Fish Store

Oh! I forgot about those little guys. They're albino cories (albino versions of bronze cories). They only get about 3" at the most and prefer to be in groups of at least 3 or 4. They're very peaceful and do a great job of cleaning up uneaten food, but won't really do much for algae.

-Chelle

8. Heather&Nicole

So i could get 3 of the albino cory cats....How many plecos do u recommend for a 55 callon tank? What other fish are pretty but go well with cory cats and plecos?

9. tina1

tina1 New Member

I'm not a big pleco fan... but there are some nice small types out there like clown plecos and bristlenoses that will stay at about 6" and are very peaceful so you won't have to worry about a repeat of your mom's tank.

There are also other types of algae eaters like Otocinclus, Chinese Algae Eaters (some say these are aggressive, I have six and have never seen any aggression), and Siamese Algae Eaters.

Basically, what you should do is figure out the other fish first and then pick an algae eater to go with the other fish. You woudn't want to keep a nice school of cories in with a tank full of African cichlids, they have totally different requirements and temperments.

Isn't planning a tank fun :mrgreen:

10. Heather&Nicole

wow yeah it is a lot of work....so many things to look at..water temperatures and everything. I dont like plecos either..but i figured if i got one i'd like it to be albino because its cool looking, its not ugly like the normal ones and it doesnt get that big.

Im here to learn :)

11. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Plecos do a good job of cleanin, if you dont like to see them make alot of caves with ur ganna need to do anyways they will proly hide all day and come out at night atleast thats what mine does