1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Pomeranian: 9 mos. only 2lbs

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by tiapom, Jun 12, 2006.

1. tiapom

tiapom New Member

I recently got a 9 month old pomeranian from a breeder who had intended to breed her but could not because of her size. My first question is is this weight doomed for health problems and second, will she get any bigger? At what age do they stop growing? Any info would help. Thanks!

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Small breed dogs usually reach there adult height and weight at 12months old unlike the larger breeds which is usually 24 months older for some breeds...

If she is really small for her age and breed then there could be a hereditry which if is the case then i am glad the breeder did not decide to breed from her when she gets older as this will pass on to her litters causing more problems..

To be honest i personally think that the mother of this pup should never have been bred from if its in her line and the sire should not have been used if stumped growth is in his lines.

Inbreeding can cause these sorts of problems aswell, I would have a vet do a thorough check over, Blood, Eyes, Hips, Heart everything to make sure there is nothing wrong with her....

Sorry i could not be much more help

Mike

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Ive seen quite a few Poms of around 5# but 2# is tiny, nothing really to add to what Mikes said, have a thorough check up with your vet, that way if the are any problems you will be aware of them. Sometimes everything is fine internally, could have been from a small dam and sire and this is the runt.

One of my dogs years ago had a healthy litter of 7 pups, she was Sheltie sized and the sire was a lab ( :oops: I know...but I was young....it was in the days when the vets in UK wouldnt spay a bitch until after her first heat, Id kept her inside for weeks and then one day I opened the door to pay the milkman....and she was gone!!!) Anyway the pups at 8 weeks old all weighed around 7 or 8# except for little 'Spider' who was a healthy 2#