1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Poor Jake

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by honeybears, Aug 17, 2004.

1. honeybears

honeybears New Member

just venting he has been scratching like crazy again, he went back to the holsitc vet last week and they gave him some new supplements. I think it may be the chrlorine in the pool, agrrivatin his skin, It is hard to keep him out. and his mout ick is flared upr ealy bad

can anyone recommned like a leave in conditioner, I can use on him, like a cream because he is so big?

honeybear[/b]

2. horse_child

horse_child New Member

I can't think of anything. When my horses get battle scars and loose hair i put an oatmeal paste on it to help moisturize it and make the hair grow back.

3. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

](*,)

I don't know anything that could help you really.

I can tell you that you certainly aren't the only one going through the itching thing. I just started weaning Indy down on his steroid pills and he has turned all red and itchy again so I think tomorrow I will call the vet and get the allergy testing done for him. :cry:

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Vitamin E tablets. I just break them open and smear the gel over the areas.....very sticky and oily though.....

5. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Its not just spots but his whole body seems to be itching, that is why maybe a leave in conditioner or somthing. Spray would be hard becasue he is so big, any other recommencations.

oh bet puthim on something called green mush to help

honeybear

6. karma

karma New Member

For his skin, I would try a medicated shampoo on him. If you can't buy it at your local pet store, try www.petedge.com. Or take him to a groomer and ask them to use one. And I would definitely keep him out of the chlorine.

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Karma, I wish I could keep him out, but cant. I went to that web site, but couldnt find what i was looking for. I dont want to give him baths too much

I had an oatmeal cream leave in conditioner and now I cant remember the name. I am looking for something like this.

any recommendations?

honeybear

8. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

O.K. I have a suggestion. I use a spray with tree oil and aloe on Grace. She has really pink sensitive skin. She doesn't like to be "sprayed" but she likes to be brushed. So I spray the conditioner on the brush and brush her with it. Also brushing stimulates oil production in the skin.

Get a brush with bristles that are soft enough not to scratch the skin, but firm enough to penetrate the fur. I use Veterinarian's Best Natural Care. You can find it in Pet Care stores and feed and grain stores. But just keep spraying it on the brush as you brush Jake.

But the tree tea oil is the best natural remedy for dry skin. The aloe will help sooth the itching.

9. honeybears

honeybears New Member

sharon, thanks! I am going to order a few things, a anti-itch foam and that herbal mist. including a waterless bath for my cat! he loves to use our burn piles as his litter box and he is grey from the ash. and there is no way I can give him a bath.

honeybear

10. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I forgot to mention it could also be the grass irritating him, because when he gets out of the pool he has to go throw himself on the lawn and rolls in the grass on his back

honeybear

11. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Try tri-wheat leave-in conditioner. It works really well. I bet your hairdresser has it or will know where to find it.

12. karma

karma New Member

Honeybears,

The only leave-in conditioner I use is called GloCoat and it's at the site I mentioned above. It's hypoallergenic and I've used it on many, many dogs and haven't had a problem. That includes those with sensitive skin who've been bathed in medicated or oatmeal shampoos.

Have you tried adding safflower oil to his food?

Hate to beat a dead horse, but if it's the chlorine, which is likely, nothing you use will really help if he keeps getting into it. That stuff'll strip away any spray-on conditioners you use.

Sorry to sound pessimistic! Good luck!