1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Poor starving Copper ;)

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by coppersmom, Mar 28, 2006.

1. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Last night we all settled down to sleep (the dogs and I) and Copper hadn't come back to bed yet. As soon as I turned out the light, I heard a loud scratching/bumping around noise in the kitchen but the dogs didn't bark--which is odd. I snuck down the hall and found Copper perched on my countertop gnawing on a milkbone! He had taken it out of the box but not knocked anything off the countertop. Sabrina was waiting on the floor. Poor "little" guy is starving--or thinks he is. :) You'd think he'd lose some weight if his food intake dropped that much!

I guess I'd better put that new bag of cat food under lock and key!

2. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Too funny! :lol:

3. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Yeah, I think the poor thing will survive. :lol:

When we grocery shop we bring in a new big bag of food. The cats claw at it and rub all over it and act like it's the end of the world if we don't open the bag right away.

I guess they forget there's a whole full food bowl at their feet. Maybe they just want it extra fresh.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

LOL. What are you feeding him now and how much? Is this the amount the vet recommended?

5. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Chessmind, I'm feeding him Hill's m/d food as the vet prescribed. I'm giving him the amount on the bag for his current weight too, not even what the vet said our goal weight is. The vet prescribed that food to avoid fatty liver disease. I even break it up into two meals because I feed the dogs twice and now the cats think they have to eat every time ANYONE eats. :roll: I'm at a loss here...last night I caught him in the kitchen sink cleaning crumbs out of the drainer before I dumped it.

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Poor guy. I feel bad for him. :( Did you use to feed him way more than what you are feeding him now? If not I guess he will just have to adjust. If you did, perhaps it's too drastic, too quickly? Instead you could maybe slowly over a couple of weeks decrease the amount of food? I wish him all th best. Diets are no fun, especially when you love to eat as much as he does. Be sure to give him lot's of love, since he no longer has his dear, dear, yummy food. :wink:

7. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Thanks Chessmind. I would have thought this new food is more filling since it's mostly protein. In my personal experience, that keeps me alot fuller. I didn't think I fed him all that much more before the diet. I put food in the bowl twice a day and they just free-fed. The vet said to definately cut that out. Now he eats like a dog--he wolfs it down as soon as I put it in the bowl. I feel bad for him too. That's why I've been taking him outside. He really enjoys it and get a little extra exercise strolling around with me right behind him lol.

8. vene

vene New Member

Can you feed him more often using the same portions for the day?