1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Potty Training is going slow...some questions

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by winnie, May 12, 2004.

1. winnie

winnie New Member

Hey everyone....I just had some questions about potty training...I know all dogs are differnt and some learn quicker then others but I have had Sydney for about 1 month now. I use to have to keep her on a leash and hold on to it around the apartment because the minute I let go or she was un supervised she would pee(she was 3 months then). Since I have moved to a house a couple weeks ago, she has gotten much better and I dont need the leash anymore. I have a room in my house for the dogs and since Syd is not potty trained I keep them both in there together when I leave, they like being in there, they have their own couchs, beds, water/food, and tons of toys...When I leave it is never for a long time cause I know Syd cant hold it more then 3 hours tops! But she keeps having accidents and keeps peeing on her bed in the room! Even if I put her in for only an hour she still has an accident. Since she is in there and pees when i am not home, I can not catch her in the act...what can I do??? Any suggestions would be helpful...also when I do catch her in the act...i say no in a deep, loud voice, and promptly take her outside...am I doing the right thing....what else can I do...oh she also does not let me know when she has to go outside,I just look for signs, will she eventually learn to tell me when she needs to go? thanks :)

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If the only thing she pees on is her bed, take it away! She might just find something else to pee on in that case, though. I have heard that dogs like to pee on something soft and absorbant if given a choice - so confining her to a room with a linoleum floor might help.

Otherwise, you could try crate training.

Jamiya

3. winnie

winnie New Member

she dosent always pee on the bed...she will also pee on the floor...the bed thing is new...the floor in that room is linolium(sp) luckily it is easy to clean...I just never know when I come home when I open that door, just what I am coming home to and I dread it....sometimes she is great and sometimes not so...i guess she just needs time...thanks agian Jamiya :)

4. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I would take the bed out of the room and try to get as much of the pee scent out as possible. Also, I have never crate trained, but in your situation it may be a god send. Since the crate is small and more confined, she will be less likely to pee in it because she then won't have room tomove away from it.

I have no prior potty training. I have always gotten my doggies when they are already trained.

Good luck.

5. winnie

winnie New Member

thank you both for your advice...i think i am going to have to throw the bed away cause its one of those foamy orthopedic ones which i dont think i can clean....but i have others...i will have to get my crate from my old apartment....she will go nuts in there but at least i live on a house now...thanks agian :)

6. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

I know you feel bad about the crate now, but you just have to tell yourself that it is temporary-- as soon as sydney can be trusted to not have accidents, she can slowly earn more freedom while you're gone. Trust me, a few months keeping her crated now will pay off big time for the rest of her life!!

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I think others who have used the "confine to a small room" method have said that it takes longer, but the dog eventually does learn to wait to potty outside. So if crate training doesn't work out, you might eventually be okay anyway. I wonder if you can train her to go in some alternate place in the house - like a box or papers - to help her? Or if this would make it harder for her to learn to go outside? Anyone have the answer to this?

Ideally, I bet if you could take a whole week off and really work on the housetraining thing, that would go a long way. Although I didn't consider Nala reliable until well past 6 months old - more like 9-10 months old at least.

Jamiya

8. honeybears

honeybears New Member

My brother was going thru the same thing, his pups came partially crate trained, but he didnt believe in it, so he was having a very difficult time. I just got an email from my mom, saying that finally mission accomplished. I think Jimiya is right this type of training takes longer. I didnt crate train Jake, and I remember thinking, is he ever going to get it. Ohhh those puppy days.

honeybear

9. Sara

Sara New Member

My female APBT would have terrible separation anxiety if not having been crate trained. It is her home and she loves her crate. She feels safe there and doesn't freak out when we're not home like she does out of her crate or outside...

Crates are GOOD things for dogs... They're like dens and if wors comes to wors and you have some kind of acciden or some reason you cannot keep a dog... Crate training can often mean a matter of life and death.

Seriously... Crate training IMO is necessary.