1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Potty Training Logic

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by casper, Aug 7, 2004.

1. casper

casper New Member

Hi guys,

I have a question re: the logic behind potty training. I understand the conept of praising them when they do good and when they make a mistake, correct them immediately and take them to the proper place. My question is, what if they don't make a mistake or you don't catch them doing it because they do it so infrequently?

So most of you know that i have two new puppies - pepper and casper. I walk them every hr - 1 hr and 1/2. They mostly do their thing outside and they get treated and I sound all excited and stuff. Walking them so frequently means they don't make many mistakes. I feel like I should let them make a mistake and then correct it - because my logic is, how do you know what is 'good' if 'good' is all you know?

Thoughts?

2. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I think that dogs just know after awhile of doing their business in one spot that thats where they should go. Nothing bad happens when they go there so its ok. Going in the house to them now, would just seem not right to them, I would think. I do get what your saying though.

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Puttin hit it right on the dot! :y_the_best: I think you are over analyzing the issue, Casper. Although you analyze the issue on a higher level, and I understand what you are saying, your dog never will analyze the issue on such a level as you are. Your pups realize that when they do their business outside where the are supposed to, they are rewarded and praised. Dogs look to please their owner(s) (well, most of the time at least :wink: ), and are HIGHLY motivated by positive verbal praise and favorable material rewards.

It sounds as though your pups are quickly mastering their potty training, which is a HUGE plus! I wouldn't purposely let them eliminate indoors, for that will only set you back in your potty training success. However, do try and pay VERY close attention so you can catch them in the act during those infrequent accidents...that's prime opportunity to correct them!

To sum it up, keep on doing EXACTLY what you are doing, I don't see any need for change. Kudos to you for working so hard with them, it'll pay off in the end, believe me!!!

Here's to continued success!!! :D

4. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Cheers :0019:

5. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:0008:

6. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Hopefully that won't be me by the end of the day. Going to have alittle fun today.

7. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Oh puttin, loosen up and have some fun today...not too much, though!!! :lol:

Have a great day! :0018:

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

:m20: La La laaa I made it home safe and sound.

Casper hows that pup doing.