1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Pregnant min pin with lump around one breast. please help!

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by user3773, Feb 27, 2007.

1. user3773

user3773 New Member

hi-
    my 52 day pregnant has developed on one breats small little lumps around one breats. little lumpy bumps under the skin- they are not red or anything but i do not recall this in the past. all else is fine with her. puppies moving around and she doesnt have a fever.

i called my vet this morning and she really didnt have any answers..i think i will take my min pin in the morning but i was hoping that maybe someone had some answers tonight.
    im concerned about her and about her nursing in approx 10 days.

thanks, penny

*please everyone no lectures about my pregnant dog- this wasw a planned pregnancy**

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi if she is full up with milk there is a chance that she is starting to get mastitis, some people think this is not possible until pups are nursing but it can and does happen before.

What you can try is get a clean cloth soak in some cool water and gently massage her glands this should take any swelling down that is there...

Most bitches that have engorged teats have some small lumps like i say gently massage usually will get rid of them.

Make sure she stays cool until her whelping day.
    Good luck and i hope all goes well.

Mike

3. user3773

user3773 New Member

thanks for your reply charmedagain, it helped!!

i really appreciate your reply-i was disapointing that the vet wouldnt/couldnt tell me anything over the phone! when it almost puppy time im i think i get more nervous than my sissy!! :)
    i tried your massage trick and she loved it!! im not sure how long it will take for the lumps to go away..im going to keep an eye on them.. thanks

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

It can take a couple of days for them to go away, Aslong as her mammary glands are not hot and she is not uncomftable, It maybe that they wont go away until the pups are nursing.

Some vets just do not want to know really when it comes to animals being pregnant as most vets think that they should be spayed and neutered from 8weeks old.

Mike

5. user3773

user3773 New Member

Charmedagain..Antibiotic 4 my pregnant dog.Is that safe??

hi-
    well i talked to a different vet at my veterinarians office and she prescribed antibiotics for her. i asked her if these were safe for the pups and she said yes..
    So I guess I have to trust the doctor, right?? It just makes me nervous.
    Im afraid of the possiblitiesof harm antibiotics could cause, but then again what if it really is an infection...

Since she seems fine in every other way, I would really prefer to just let her be and not give her the meds, because she's not in any pain. also doing the compresses with her, she seems to love that.

im just afraid of doing the wrong thing.. sorry just had to vent. thanks to all!!

but if anyone has any info on giving antibiotics to a pregnant dog , please write.

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Antibiotics are safe to use during pregnancy as most vets will prescribe Synulox if there is any signs of infection or bacteria during pregnancy.

Mike

7. candy_kisses

candy_kisses New Member

~I have worked for my vet for 2 years so yes it is safe to give mild antibiotics to nursing mothers. Sounds like Mastitis and there are a few other things you can do to help this go away. Hot compress on the lump will help break it up a bit and help with the pain or tenderness to the mom. Also you can make sure to express milk from that breast often so that it doesnt get full and hard again. Antibiotics will help the infection and you definatly want to give them to her so that she doesnt get milk fever and the puppies can get sick from nursing from a mastitis breast if left untreated. Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to email me~