1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

pregnant plattys and pregnant guppys

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by kay, Aug 25, 2005.

1. kay

kay New Member

help i have 2 pregnant plattys i dont know how long they have been pregnant for, i have had them for 3 weeks but they look like they are about to pop (they are that big there skin has gone white instead of being red) dose anyone know what they will do as there get ready to give birth i also have 2 pregnant guppys there gravid spot is black and there very fat also all the outher fish r following them around mianly the male guppys dose anyone know what they do before giveing birth, this is my first tropical fish tank so i dont realy have a clue. thank you kay :?:

2. porsche

porsche New Member

for the guppies if you look from the back at the gravid spot, as the time gets closer to release the babies, her gravid spot will become a box. You can then seperate them into a another tank or a breeding box. The others who chase them around is usually a good thing for them if they have babies as it makes the process of birth easier, dont know why.

hope this helps

3. kay

kay New Member

thanks for that info

thanks for that info but do you mean that it will just look square or it will stick out in a square shap sorry a bit thick on this subject

4. porsche

porsche New Member

now if you look at her gravid spot it is in the shape of a circle/oval, as time for birth comes neaer, it will form into the sahpe of a box.

5. kay

kay New Member

pregnant guppies and plattys

thanks for that i just had a look and it is square on one of them but she is not doing anything eles i read they do she is still very active and is eating alot swimming around all over the tank do you still think i should put her in the breeding trap r leave it for a bit (i would post a pic of her but i dont know how).