1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Dogs Fighting

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by waheed22, Apr 6, 2009.

1. waheed22

waheed22 New Member

Hi I am new here but I am desperate for some help.

We have two dogs, Monty is the older dog at around 16 months old and is a lab x border collie x blue heeler and Charlie is younger at around 10 months. Charlie is a border collie x kelpie. Both are male and de-sexed.

The problem we have is that Charlie behaves quite strangely around me. When I go outside he starts running laps around the yard and it is very hard to get him to listen to me. Monty is very well behaved and very affectionate towards me. He gets quite jealous when i pat charlie at all. I currently think Monty is the dominate dog as whenever they do fight he always wins and pins charlie down.

Currently dinner time is the real issue. I tie both dogs up apart from each other and feed monty first and then charlie. After dinner is when the trouble starts. Charlie will start stalking around monty with his hackles up and snarling at him, eventually monty will attach him and I have to drag them apart. So far no one has been hurt but it is a worrying trend.

The odd thing is that when my wife goes outside charlie stops his aggresive behaviour and the dogs behave normally. Now I am sure the issue is to do with the dog pack heirachy but I am at loss of what to do?

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

You need to consult a behaviorist. The dogs are not taking you seriously and you definately need to get a hand on that. Feeding them separate in crates would be ideal if they are having issues with food agression.

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I would agree with samsintentions in getting a behaviorist involved. While they are young now is the time for sure!!! Feeding them separately, equal attention being given. they really need to understand that you are Alpha in the pack....

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Not necessarily being alpha, but being a master.

5. waheed22

waheed22 New Member

Thanks for the advice, I will call bark busters back, we have a life time garantee so hopefully she can help.

Its funny how is some areas they are much better behaved then they used to be (they sleep happily together in our bedroom when we let them now and they will wait patiently when we go out and open the garage door, they used to try and run out all the time)

They are also much better to walk, more attentive. The real problems seem to be with me and when i have both dogs around....

6. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Not sure why they are attacking each other so I hope you can get some behaviorial help. Their other behavior howver is not so strange. From your mixed breed descritption you clearly have two herding dogs that need something to herd. Without that you seem to be the thing that needs to be herded.
    Those boys will need lots of excercise and mental stimulation. Everything in their genetic background points to intelligence and energy.