1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Problems With My Son's Puppy - Please Help

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by LuvMyBabies, May 5, 2007.

1. LuvMyBabies

LuvMyBabies New Member

I have been dog sitting my son's puppy, an 11 month old rottie x husky, for the past month and have been getting on quite well. We have not had too many issues other than his play is a little rough for my 11 lb. daschund mix, but we have been able to control the play sessions and they are getting along.

Unfortunately, just today Goliath has decided that he is going to show dominance over my mother. He begins to growl at her as soon as she looks at him or speaks to him. She is the only person he is doing this with and it just seemed to start out of the blue. Not sure if this matters or not, but she is the person who feeds him and is with him all day while I am at work.

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Only advice at the moment is to correct him strongly for the behavior. I would honestly seek the advice of a professional, your local vet should be able to refer to any in the area for you. This is a serious behavioral issue that will need some professional attention. Rotts are dominant dogs and when they show their dominance at an early age it will only become worse if not dealt with. Professionals know what will aleviate the situation and how to keep from escalating a session. They can assess the situation by seeing the dog rather than through descriptions online can.

We wish you good luck and hope the best. Feel free to let us know how everything goes if you do seek the help of a trainer (I do strongly urge that you do so).

Sara

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

She could be showing the dog submission and that its OK for him to do this behavior, with out knowing she's doing so.

I strongly suggest seeking a professional behaviorist before someone gets bitten.

4. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

5. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

Ditto for correcting this behavior A.S.A.P.!

Please post updates.

6. LuvMyBabies

LuvMyBabies New Member

We have contacted our vet and a local rescue shelter and both recommended the same trainer (who also happens to own two rotties). We have a one on one appointment Wednesday. I will keep everyone advised of our progress.

We love him dearly and want to make sure that both he and every one around him are safe. One thing we have really noticed is that, in general, he is much more attentive and obedient to men rather than women although I personally have no problem with getting him to obey me.