1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Providing for the "boredom hours"

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by gailau, Jun 8, 2004.

1. gailau

gailau New Member

Just to recap - I have two large cross-breed dogs - both adorable in their own ways and of course, totally different in temperament :) I've had dogs all my life .... and yes, I've worked all my life, and still am. Hubby goes to work too and my daughter goes to high school. So, here we are, 5 days per week where the boys are on their own for around 8 hours. Outside those 8 hours, they are totally loved to death, play games, are house dogs and have heaps of company. Unfortunately, they obviously get bored during the work week and we carry out damage control each evening to assess their activities for the day.
    I really would like to know what one provides for two big dogs to amuse themselves with which would take the edge off their boredom, at least sufficient to curb their destructive chewing binges. Any help out there??
    They have a huge yard to run in, fully fenced but totally open visually for them to the outside world, plenty of shelter, shade and comfy bed, and self serve food.

2. lil96

lil96 New Member

more toys, chew toys, bones, rawhides, do they like to fetch? maybe you could get one of hose things where the dog plays fetch by itself.

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I had the same problem. Start hiding treats, toys, chews, Kongs filled with treats around your yard where they have to hunt for them. They will sniff around for hours looking for goodies.

If your dogs are diggers, get them a sandbox with sand and bury stuff in there for them to find. I found dogs love to dig in sand just for the fun of it, too.

My dogs also like to play tug-o-war with their doggie pull rope. They take turns pulling each other around by their teeth. After all that they pretty much sleep in the shade.

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I have the same problem, but the dogs are inside. And I can't find anything safe for them to chew on that lasts for more than 30 minutes. It's very aggravating. I wish we could have a doggie door - maybe that would help. Or maybe then they would just destroy the yard, LOL.

Jamiya

5. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Here's a post I wrote a while ago that helped with Harley's SA. I think a lot of these things may help you too.

http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1892

Also, I would provide more excersice in the mornings before you leave for work. What kind of things do you do wiht them now in the morning.

More excercise will tire them out and ensure less damage to your property. I excercise Harley at least 40 mins. each morning in the yard. We just play catch but the constant running for so long really tires her out and she's almost asleep before I leave.

I have given her the basement and not the full run of the house, this way there is less stuff to damage (besides ripping some cardboard) and we are all happier at the end of the day.

Good luck!

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I would say more excercise in the morning. How old are they?? Wylie was like that when wefirst got her. last about a year, but hten she grew out it. I know she was board and too much energy. and the hiding things for them to find sound good.

honeybear

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I also think it can be trickier with two dogs. I wouldn't want mine to fight over a hidden treat that they both think they found first, you know?

Jamiya

8. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Oh Jimiya you are right, that could cause a fight between 2 dogs.

honeybear

9. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I guess I never thought of that. I am just used to Bully dogs, so the Number 1 rule is:

Never leave them alone together. hehe

10. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

11. Jas

Jas New Member

Am, Mid Day & Pm EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!