1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Prozac for dogs ???

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by abbeys-mom, Jan 8, 2005.

1. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hello All,

I was surfing some rescue sites in my area, and I decided to check one out that was for a specific breed, well I was quite shocked when reading about one dog looking for a home, as in the description of the dog, it said she is on prozac.
    Has anyone heard of this? Is this something normal?

I would link you to the website, but I am not sure if I should. It seemed like a really great rescue...

Curious,

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Some dogs do take Prozac or other similar medications. Sometimes medication can help with obsessive behaviors such as tail chasing or snapping at the air. The goal, though, is to work on the behaviors causing the problems and gradually wean off the medication if possible.

3. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Jamiya,

some how I knew you would have an answer.
    The breed was Border Collie, I have heard that without proper training, they can be quite obsessed with anything.

Thanks!

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Yes. They do put dogs and other animals on drugs similar to prozac.

We had a pig one time (my show pig) that had a serious obsessive compulsive disorder to chew on herself. After giving her the meds for a while, she quit, and later we slowly weaned her off the meds, She was fine then.....never made it to show because of all the scars from the self harm she was causing, but she lived to be a happy hog....she's now at a breeding farm.
    Not being bred, they use her as a TEASE sow.

They fit her with a "CUP" and she stands for BOARS to mate with her so they can collect the semen for AI.

5. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Dr.Dodman talks about this in his books "The Dog Who Loved Too Much" and I don't remember the other books.

6. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

kuma is on doggy 'prozac'. she was on endep for over 6 months and she showed some improvement but went backwards after she was weaned off. she now takes clomicalm and that has worked wonders. by the sounds of what youve typed youve got the impression thats it not a good idea. but i can tell you now if there was no such thing id be being sued by my landlords and kuma would be in the vets with wood splinters in her stomach!

7. Sara

Sara New Member

The Rescue pit I had had SEVERE separation anxiety and we knew that if she wasn't able to be crate trained she'd not be likely able to find a home...she was VERY much a problem...nothing but a love but a SERIOUS problem when it came to leaving the house without her. She'd pee in her crate and would make such a fuss we'd find the crate from one end of the room to the other from her banging around in it... Red bruises on her head...the works... so we decided to try meds. She was on Amytriptoline (memory is failing so don't quote me) and she took it twice a day and was on it for a good six months. We decided we needed to re-home her and slowly weened her off the meds. We only provided a constant lifestyle for her to deal with and a routine that rarely deviated and when it did only by an hour or so... She was weaned of the meds, never peed in her crate and only made a vocal fuss when we first got home... A command to hush did the trick and she was ready for a new home... Meds are good and should be used to fix a behavioral problem rather than mask it forever whenever possible... Sometimes it's not and if it's a matter of life or death for the dog...medication is probably the best idea.

8. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Wow, thanks for all the information.
    I had never heard of this before, not even on this board, so I quetioned weather it was good or not.
    Now I know that in certain cases, just like us humans, it is a blessing.