1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Q: Bloated Red Zebra…not looking too well. Help appriciated.

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Auspetian, May 22, 2004.

1. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

Hi,

I wonder if anyone have experience with such problem.

I have a red zebra (dark orange color – female about 3 inch long ) she looks bloated for the past two days, her stomach have grown to twice the size it used to be.

There are no males in the tank (as far as I know - so i don’t think she's pregnant, although i do have other type of cichlids in the same tank) and she appears to be very shy lately. Hiding between the rocks and not as active or territorial as she used to be. Her color also faded somewhat and it is not dark orange as before.

I did feed frozen blood warms about three days ago, which I now discovered (after some online research) is not really good for cichlids and might cause them constipation. (LFS guy told me that cichlids love blood warms and its good for them.....!!!??? :-s )

So my question being…..assuming it is constipation. Is there anything I can do to remedy. Your help is much appreciated !

Picture attached (taken today).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Hi Auspetian,

It's important to watch the fishes behavior very closely. It could be that the fish is just getting to more of the food than the rest of its tank mates and has become chubby. You should also check the belly area closely for pine cone like ridges which could mean your fish has contracted a disease. Frozen bloodworms are great for african cichlids, and will not harm them at all. Everybody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've seen a cichlid get fat before laying eggs. Anyways, from the pick, the little guy seems healthy, let us know...

Hooben

3. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

I saw you post yesterday but I have not kept fish like yours before. I bit my tounge yesterday, but just in case I have to mention Dropsy. I had a fish die of it not too long ago. He quickly gained weight and I thought he was a she and so did others I spoke with. However on day three or four of the bulge it died :cry: :oops: :cry: ! I have a picture of it on my computer but I'm not sure how to post it here. Mine was a rosey barb. It's abdomen became lighter and lighter almost white. I will try to figure out how to post it so people can see it. I wish we could all be more help to you. Hopefully your cichlid is just pleasantly plump! :y_the_best:

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

There's a couple possibilities here:

If it's constipation, you could try fasting her for a few days or feeing her some shelled peas (nuke frozen peas in the microwave for a few seconds and remove the outer shell). Peas are a natural laxative so that should help clear out her system. Has she had any bowel movements since becoming fat?

If it's dropsy, there's not a whole lot you can do. Some people have had moderate luck using antibiotics like Tetracycline or Kanacyn. Personally, I've only seen dropsy in a betta, so I can't really say for certain that your fish has it or not.

It could also be Malawi bloat which can be brought on by eating high protein foods like blood worms (most african cichlids are actually more herbivorous than carnivorous). Here's a good article on Malawi bloat: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/malawi_bloat.php

Or she could be egg bound. When my females get ready to spawn, they will get pretty fat, then about 24 hours before they spawn, their ovipositor will start showing a little. It will look like a white/translucent bump just behind the bulge. However, getting fat before spawning is generally a very graual process, not something that happens in just 2 days.

So at this point my 2 best guesses are Malawi bloat or constipation.

-Chelle

5. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

Is Malawi Bloat a disease that could affect other fish? I'm just curious about it. I read the report you posted a link for. I have a couple of blood parott cichlids and I want to know basically if they could ever get such a disease?

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Malawi bloat isn't really a disease per se, it's more of a symptom of a intestinal infection. And when african cichlids (but not specifically those from lake Malawi) get an infection and become bloated it's simply called Malawi bloat even though it's really a intestinal infection.

It's also possible for other fish to get infections and become bloated, it's just not called Malawi bloat. So to answer your question, I'm sure it's possible for parrots to get infections similar to Malawi bloat, but african cichlids seem to be more prone to it.

-Chelle

7. Auspetian

Thanks guys,

The input is much appreciated. I also checked the article link. Thanks !

Condition is getting worse by the day. She almost look like a puff fish now.
    Very large stomach with no abnormal skin, scale, or fins condition...all look fine. Color has faded a little bit more, though.

She keeps close to the bottom and display loss of appetite and hardly swims. She used to be the most active and most aggressive fish in the tank.

I also noticed that she is not releasing any waste.

I don’t think it is pregnancy, it happened too quick, almost overnight. I strongly suspect constipation....going to start feeding frozen pees as well as add to the water the salts described in the article.

Thanks again for advice. It is much appreciated. I will keep you updated.

8. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

I hope the peas help Auspetian! We will all keep our fingers crossed for you and you fish! :cry:

9. Auspetian

Thanks ceveretts !,

UPDATE;
    She is showing some better signs today. A Little more active and a little more aggressive, she also started eating. But the puffiness is still the same.

I've been feeding crashed (frozen) pees for the last two days as well as did a 30% water change.

Question to those experienced with cichlid breeding:
    Would the male (red zebras) be in close proximity to the female during pregnancy?

Approx three weeks ago I noticed her starting to dig large holes in the gravel and one between the rocks but then she stopped. She is not making use of the holes and currently in another (new) cave which she furiously defends. No other cichlid is in close proximity to her. She keep chasing them when they get too close. I never saw her close to any other cichlid in the tank (did not notice any pairing at all)….just wondering (hoping :) ), could this suggest signs of pregnancy ?

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

About 2 or 3 days before spawning, my male cichlids will start chasing & dancing for the females ("dancing" looks like he's having a seizure). And as far as I know, with africans, digging holes isn't part of the mating ritual (with egg laying cichlids it is, but not with mouthbrooders).

-Chelle

11. Auspetian

I found her (Mary) dead this morning :( .

It was the last time I will ever feed my cichlids with frozen or live blood worms.

To those interested, Here is a good article about what to feed and what not to feed various cichlid species:
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/f ... chlids.php

Make sure you know exactly what type of cichlids you have in your tank BEFORE feeding live or frozen blood worms. It is most likely to cause constipation (bloat) in Herbivorous type cichlids (the most common types normaly sold at fish shops) and it can kill your fish.

12. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i am very sorry to hear that auspet
    Very sorry
    Fish Addict

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm so sorry. :(

-Chelle

14. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

:cry: I hope that you and your other fish are o.k. :cry: I am sooo sorry to hear that. So do we know for sure if it was Malawi bloat or not? Take good care! :wink: