1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Quarantine Tanks

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by swtnpink, Jun 27, 2004.

1. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

I don't have any fishes yet but I've been reading other people's topics and post and was wondering how do you make a Quarantine tank? Are you suppose to have a tank thats been cycled readily available just in case your fishes get "sick" or "hurt"?

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

you can have it but if you only have one fish you'll be fine

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

you can have it but if you only have one fish you'll be fine

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

aka hospital tank. this is a very important tank if you have a tank containing more then one fish. this is because if one becomes sick you can move it into the hospital tank for curing because having a tank of fish that are fine and adding medication not needed to all but one or two can cause a probolem

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

When I have to set up a hospital tank, I either use one of my spare fitlers with some media from my established filters or use one of the filters off of my 20 gallon (I have 2 filters on it).

Or, you could cycle the tank and add pure ammonia to it to keep it cycled.

-Chelle

6. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

so, how do you quarantine fishes before you put them in your community? i read other people's post and you guys always say to make sure your quarantine your tanks before you put them into an established tank... so how do you go about doing that?

7. swtnpink

swtnpink New Member

:shock: :roll:

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Just put them in the quarantine/hospital tank for a few weeks and watch for any illnesses. If they stay healthy during that period of time, then it should be safe to add them to the main tank.

-Chelle

9. needlefish

needlefish New Member

its kinda like if u catch a fish from a river(3") u could put it in your hospital tank(5g or more) and watch to see if it has any dieases from the river. like what t_chelle16 said.