1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

question about a discus

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tski22, Mar 28, 2005.

1. tski22

tski22 New Member

I was just offered today a pair of discus fish from a family member. They came from his friend and he doesnt have the room for it (only a 5 gallon). So I said wow better get it out of there quick (theyre only about an inch and a half long) very small. So my question was would it be ok to take his fish and for now put them in a 32 gallon alone for now, and when the time comes move them to a 55 gallon? I jsut think that this would be better than to leave them in the 5 gallon. What do you suggest I do? I really like the fish and am willing to take them for free especially even if it means buying a new tank.. like a 55 because my 32 is pretty old I need a new tank. Thanks alot!! -tl

2. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

I dont really see the problem with that. I dont know much about Discus but from the pics of seen, they're nice looking fish. Go 4 them.

3. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi tski22, That sounds like a very nice deal, well worth investing in a tank. Just study up on Discus. They have pretty exacting water requirements. Here is an easy way to soften the water for them. Get an old pair of panty hose and cut the end off of them to make a bag. Rinse them real well to make sure there is no soap residue in them. Fill them with peat moss and tie a knot in the open end. Rinse the bag of peat moss that you have just made with tap water and then place the bag in your filter. Most of the old time Discus owners prefer to use this method over using Blackwater Tonic.

4. tski22

tski22 New Member

Thanks alot for your info. I have been reading up on them. Jus tnaother wuick question how fast will they grow? How logn before i will need a bigger tank? And as far as the panty hose trick goes. Do I jsut toss it inside the filter? Thnaks alot. -tl

5. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi tski22, From my experience in the shop they don't grow very fast, but again, that is under crowded conditions. As with any fish, water conditions, available tank space and oxygen are the key factors in growth. In a 32 gallon you should be able to get by for 6 to 8 months at least. Yes, just toss the peat bag in the filter.

6. tski22

tski22 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I talked to my dad and he says when the time is ready I can put them in his 50 gallon tank. That being said I am gonig to get the discus from my cousin. Thanks so much. -tl