1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Question About Ear Problem

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by mdman126, Oct 4, 2004.

1. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

hi guys, it has been a few days that my pom keeps shaking his head a lot until tonight, i looked inside his ear and there was lots of brown stuff coming out of it. i cleaned his ear as much as i could, it took me an hour to do it. i think it itches and he is also in pain.
    do you guys know what this is? is it an infection called OTITIS? please let me know thanks a lot

2. maltepoolover

maltepoolover New Member

my sis ,malti, says to first tonight clean his ears with qtips and alcohol ,,more than apt has ear mites which can cause an infection ,take him to your vet is the main thing .Let us know how he does after the vet.

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Malt is right, to me an ear infection is an ear infection, I never bothered to learn the acual name for it. He needs to possible have his ear flushed(cleaned) and put on anti-biotics, possibly ear drops too depending on how bad it is. After all the anitbiotics are finished. My suggestion to you(your mom) is to buy a product that has worked for me for the past 2 years. It is thornit ear powder. Only bought in U.K. My poodle has not had an ear infection since we started using it on her, Heres the link. One little bottle lasts a few years. Plus she does not get the ugly brown wax when its used. The first link is their page about ears, second is product.
    http://www.championpets.freeserve.co.uk/ears.htm

http://www.championpetsonline.co.uk/pop ... &p_i=35246

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

If your Pom's ears are red, inflamed, or have a buildup of brown, yellow, or black "gunk," see your vet soon! He/she will probably give you medicated ear drops to clear things up, and to prevent (if there isn't already one) an ear infection.

Until you see your vet, I would use just a warm, damp cloth and clear the stuff out in his ears to the best of your ability...be gentle, and don't go down your dog's ear canal.

A tip from now on, about once every week or two, check your dog's ears for any foul smells, redness, or buildup of any sort, and make sure there isn't excess hair in their ears. Even if you don't see anything, a short cleaning session with a warm, damp cloth is a good idea. Or, you can even buy dog "ear wash" from pet stores and use with a cotton ball instead of the warm, damp cloth...but either way is good. I just use a warm, damp cloth with my pups b/c they never get any sort of buildup...if your Pom gets a lot of buildup, I would recommend the ear wash, it'll probably be a little more helpful in keeping things clear!

Of course, it would be a great idea for you to ask your vet what he/she thinks about what method is best for your pup!

Good luck! :D

5. maltepoolover

maltepoolover New Member

well ,my sister cleans the ears with a type q-tip her vet uses .she orders it from them and she does go pretty deep ,not deep enough to hurt but I worry when she does it .I went to the vet once for her and her vet cleaned some of the ears too and I asked him "How deep can you go ,Shirley looks like she is digging for gold when she does it " he laughed at me and said ,deep enough to get it out ,she knows what to do ,so don't worry about it " i shrugged cause he has been in practice for over 30 years and is the best in this whole area ,so I guess he knew what she was doing since he showed her how to do it .He also told me that day ,and she says it is best too ,to use alcohol to clean the ears ,says it dries up and is not fluid like water which does not ry as fast and can cause an infection from it staying in the ear ,dip the tip in alcohol and then clean .I can't explain like she does .
    Malti says to have the vet check for ear mites .

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

For someone like Malti who has experience cleaning a dog's ears, and knows where to stop (so not to go too far down the ear canal), that is great, and I'd feel fairly confident that she'll do it safely w/out problem. However, I would not recommend that anyone attempt to go as far as the ear canal if you don't have experience and knowledge in that area. A dog's ear canal is not a place an inexperienced person should wonder!!!

As far as q-tips, I would never use q-tips (vets who use them are an exception)...I'd recommend cotton balls over q-tips for two reasons: 1) Quicker, and 2) Greatly reduced risk of danger...to explain, if you are cleaning your pup's ears with a q-tip, and the dog makes a sudden movement, and that q-tip goes down the ear canal by accident...VERY BAD NEWS!!!

Also, in regards to the alcohol, I prefer a warm, damp cloth to periodically clean the ears *if* you never have buildup problems or infection. (If using a warm, damp cloth, the moisture from the cloth should dry up VERY quickly - within a mere couple of seconds...if it doesn't, your cloth is too wet, wring it out thoroughly!)

I've found (and heard from others) that alcohol directly is often too harsh on the ear's, especially dog's with sensitive ears. If you're going to use alcohol, I would most definitely dilute it with water first!!! Special ear wash solutions formulated for dogs (some you squeeze onto a cotton ball and rub, and some you squeeze a few drops in the ear, massage in, then let the dog shake it out), and/or homemade ear wash solutions (alcohol diluted with water, etc.), are great for dogs with frequent buildup. Although, even if you're dog doesn't have such problems, it isn't "bad" to use the ear wash solutions if you prefer to use them...but, I prefer a warm, damp cloth for my pups since we haven't had any ear problems!

(All of the above is my opinion, and what I have learned and experienced from the past...of course, we all have different experiences and opinions!!! :wink: )

:m19: BEFORE using any homemade or store bought ear wash solution, always consult your vet to see what they think is best for the pup's ears!!!

:D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mdman~

When I re-read my first reply regarding your post, I noticed that I failed to mention something. If you haven't yet taken your pup in to the vet to have his ears checked, and haven't cleaned his ears out just yet, I would highly recommend that you keep a "sample" of the buildup in his ears for the vet to examine...it'll definitely help in diagnosing the problem!

If the "stuff" is still in his ears, and you are going to see the vet real soon (like tomorrow), I'd just leave the stuff in his ears and let the vet clean out the ears and take a sample!

That's just my suggestion, you can always talk to the vet's staff to see what their advice is for the time being (before the vet appt.)!

:D

7. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

at last

so at last i took my pom to the doctor, he said my pom has yeast infection, fleas and allergies and he gave meds for all these conditions. when time came to pay the bill i almost fainted.......270.00 dollars!!!!!!!!!
    only the k9 Advantix coast $1oo.oo good thing i had my credit card with me.
    i think this vet makes more than a Medical Doctor.
    i am thinking now to return the k9 Advantix. what do you think?
    any natural remedies for fleas?

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I use advantage for fleas. Now that you are getting the infection dealt with, I'd look into getting some Thornit powder so's this does not happen again. I'm totally seriuos. Once you start your dog on the powder(you use it very sparingly) you dog does not get any brown gunky wax. My poos did until we started using the powder.

9. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Puttin, after reading here the miracles, I told my mom about it because her shitzu had chronic ear infections. she has been using it about a year now and her dog has not had any infections since

I would highly recomend dogs that have ear problems try the thronit powder

honeybear

10. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Thats great news. Especially for the little shih-tzu. I get sooo happy when people listen.