1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Question about tank weight

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by fishy_chick, May 23, 2004.

1. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

My Mom and I were talking this morning, and we cant really figure out if the fish in a tank would add to the tank's overall weight. I cant really see why they wouldn't... I'm not sure though, does anyone know??

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I think a fish would probably displace close to his own weight in water so he probably wouldn't add too much to the weight (don't quote me on that, though, it's just a guess). Plus, considering how much water, glass, & stand weigh, the fishes weight would just be a small fraction of the total weight. My largest oscar weighs maybe 2 lbs at the most compared to his tank (water, decorations, tank, etc) which weighs roughly 750 lbs.

-Chelle

3. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

That's exactly what I thought- the fish would be close to the weight of the water that would "fill his space." How is it that you calculate the weight of your tank? Isn't it something like 10lbs per gallon (filled)? I forget cause it's been a while since I had to figure it out! :roll:

4. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

the water weighs 8.3452641 lbs for a gallon. for the gravel ect... I have no idea at all... you could weigh it all and see. :D

5. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

laura has a good point. though the forse of water pooring into a tank fast is almost 65 pounds a gal. though with the water still it weighs less. i saw it on discovery

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That's why I just round it up to 10; to account for the weight of the glass, decorations, stand, etc. It may actually be a little more than that, but 10 is an easy number to work with.

-Chelle

7. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

it also depends on the tank size. i know my 24 gal. is way heavier then that

8. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

well I think I should be ok weight wise. The stand that I bought holds up to 800 pounds. So... about 650 with water and substrate. The only thing that I'm worried about is adding in live rock. They say 2 pounds of it per gallon of water. Well um... I dont think so! That might be too much for my stand to take. Maybe I'll go for half a pound per gallon... something like that. Why do reefs have to make things so complicated?!

9. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

fishy chick when you put in 2 pounds of live rock you'll have to take out two pounds of water
    so the more rock you have in there the less water you'll have

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I meant 10 lbs per gallon so a completely filled & decorated 24 gallon tank would weigh roughly 240 lbs.

-Chelle

11. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

hey I never thought of that, thanks fish addict. I guess if I didnt take out water, my tank would end up over flowing... :oops:

12. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

13. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Anything you add should just about displace its own weight in water, water is surpringly heavy so it shouldnt cause a huge problem, though the bottom stuff (gravel sand etc.) is heavier then water so if your good with math it shouldn't be toooo hard to figure out.

14. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi fishy_chick, I think we are confusing weight with volume and water displacement. Example: A round 5lb ball of lead will displace less water than a 5lb piece of lava rock. As a rough guess a 2lb fish will probably displace roughly 1/2 gallon of water or approximately 4 lbs. As best as I can remember I think 20lbs of pea gravel will displace about 1 1/2 gallons of water or roughly 12 lbs. Fish will most likely displace more weight by volume.