1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Question About testis, please answer

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by mdman126, Aug 19, 2004.

1. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

hi you all , as you know i have this 8 months old pomeranian and when i look at his testis, i only see one thing, am i supposed to see two like humans? looks like there is only one testicle.
    if it is tru what must be done? i was planing to nuter him but is this a problem? does anyone have a pic of normal testicles in a toy dog? if yes please post. thanks a lot

2. nern

nern New Member

Its possible that he only has one testicle or that only one of his testicles has dropped...both should have dropped by now. If its the latter he can still be neutered (its even more important to have done now that one testicle has not dropped) but the surgery will be more invasive because they will have to locate the other testicle to remove it. Not too long ago another poster, Nik, who posts on the dog forums discovered upon taking their dog to be neutered that one of the border collies testicles had not decended.The dog was neutered and is doing fine.

3. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

hi

thanks for the reply, when you say it is more invasive do they go deeper inside? is there more risks? we love our little boy and dont want anything to happen to him. if he has only one testicle then how can they tell there isn't anotherone inside? and if he has one should he still be neutered?
    thanks so much

4. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

A friend's dog had the same thing (one testicle hadn't descended) and he was neutered and perfectly fine. I don't recall there being a big "deal" about it being more invasive or taking longer recovery... but common sense tells me that they had to go inside a little further to find "the little shy guy"... :)

You definitely need to talk with a vet....I think PUTTIN (who also lives in LA area) must be out of town, because she is normally posting on the board daily. I have her email address also and sent her an email... hopefully you'll get some good vet references. I know that WINNIE has a couple of pets, so I'm sure she's got good references also.

Hang in there :y_the_best:
    (no pun intended!)

5. nern

nern New Member

You will have to discuss this with your vet...I really don't think you have anything to worry about though. The surgery for an undescended testicle is likely no more invasive than a spay surgery. All of my cats and dogs are spayed/neutered...each of them recovered well and had no problems at all. Its probably the most common surgery vets perform.

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Just to add my two cents:

To see if there is an undescended testile remaining (as in some instances a male will have just one), you can often feel with your fingers the undescended testicle. One of my male dogs, Tigger, had an undecended testicle about a month prior to his surgery, so we wondered if it would 'drop' by the time the surgery came around. However, it is not a problem if it doesn't, but usually it does. To 'retrieve' the undescended testicle during surgery is minimally more invasive than the norm, and does not mean the recovery time will be longer!

Tigger's testicle hadn't descended by the time of his surgery, but was definitely there. When speaking to my vet after the surgery, she explained that it took no more than 5 extra minutes to retrieve the undescended testicle, and easily found it hiding where they normally are! As expected, Tigger recovered within the same amount of time as Mickey (his brother), who also had the surgery the same day!

So, the answer is no, your dog having an undescended testicle is not something you should worry about, for it's not out of the norm, and easily dealt with in the vast majority of cases! :y_the_best:

:D

7. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

thanks

okay, i got it now. thanks to you all.

8. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

awwwww I just bet TIGGER LOVED MOMMY telling the whole world about his testicle! LOL :oops:

9. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

You know, it's funny you mention that, because I was thinkin' the same exact thing as I was typing that message!!! LOL :lol:

In Tigger's view, all is forgiven with a treat! :D

10. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

we think wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much alike! (it's that same sense of humor, i think) LOL

11. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I know it, kinda' scary, huh! :lol:

I agree 100%! :y_the_best:

12. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I believe an undecended testicle is called cryptorchid. Yep, its more trouble for the surgeon to get it out, but they deal with these things alot more than most people ever think. My sisters poodle was cryptorchid. How in gods name do I remember that word. I like orchids. When I resaerched what it meant it stuck.

13. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

lol@puttin....

14. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

hey mdman... I know you got all kind of info from the board on neutering your baby, but I was just reading a little article on dogster.com re: the spay/neuter issue and it referenced a website: http://www.spayusa.org/

Apparently they even have a toll free number you can call if you have questions!!! Anyhow...... just thought I'd give you that link to take a look at! :)

15. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Great link, Monster!!! The toll free number for questions is a terrific idea on their part! Especially given that so many people are often worried about spaying and neutering their pets (myths playing a big factor in that), and more often times than not, have questions and concerns re: the surgery! :y_the_best:

:D

16. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

We should ask Jas to post a STICKY thread on Spaying and Neutering like she did on Parvo, huh????

17. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

You know, I think that would be a great idea, Monster!!! There have been a lot of people who have come to the forums (Toy and All) with questions, concerns, etc. regarding the spaying and neutering of their pet(s). I think it would be a great reference to those who are concerned! :y_the_best:

Good idea! :D