1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Question for raw feeders

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by 4Dogsihave, Jul 16, 2004.

1. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I got to thinking again about raw and the more I consider it the better I like it. Now my question is do you guys think ostrich meat is better for a dog than cow or pig. The reason I ask is becasue my vet (yes I finally found one I like!) Has an ostrich ranch and sells the meat at a decent price. I have only heard from people around town that it is better for humans. I will have to ask him his take next time we go in. But anyway just wanted to know if you guys knew anything about it.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I feed mine premade raw beef he doesnt do well on teh chicken. As doe ostrich, I dont know, but it is low fat so thats good

honeybear

3. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I honestly have never read or heard much about ostrich meat. But I do feed my dogs Bison & Elk from time to time and they love it. My parents live in Wyoming and Bison and Elk is very common there. My dad always sends us big cuts of meat every year or brings it with them when they come down for a visit as well as bones for the dogs. Have you ever seen the bones of an Elk or Bison? OMG Doggie heaven!

4. Jules

Jules New Member

I haven't heard much about feeding ostrich... actually anything about it!! But I can't see why it wouldn't be good. Maybe just vary the meals and don't feed JUST ostrich. Also feed lamb, fish, chicken etc.....
    So your vet is an advocate for raw feeding??

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Hey, if I could get ostrich I would certainly feed it! Just remember that feeding the exact same food every day repeats one of the big mistakes of kibble. Your dog needs variety, just as people do. If you want to feed ostrich every day for a week or two then go ahead - but the next week feed something else!

The more variety, the better.

Jamiya

6. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Hi,
    I live in Northern Cal. I never fed my dogs with raw meat before. Can anyone please tell me what kind of raw meat, besides ostrich (don't think I have ever seen ostrich meat here) would be good for my 3-month-old Cavalier? Thanks!

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Any kind of raw meat - the more variety, the better. BUT you don't want to feed JUST meat or your dog will get very sick. They need bones as well. Raw meaty bones, to be exact. Anything that is about 3/4 meat and 1/4 bone is good - chicken, beef, pork, lamb, goat, deer, rabbit, buffalo, etc. They also need organ meats - should make up about 10% of their diet. Raw whole fish are also good, but don't overdo it. An egg 2-3 times per week is also good - try to get organic ones.

An excellent group for info is here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

And check out this site as well: http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/rawdog/

I know there is a raw food co-op in Southern California. You might look around where you are and see if there's one near you. I wish we had one! They buy in bulk and get good deals and then members can buy what they want. It's a great money and time-saver!

Jamiya

8. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Jimiya, howdoes just raw get a dog sick?? I guess sine Jake is getting his bones crushed in his food is okay??

can you point in the the direction

thanks

honeybear

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

It's not "raw only" that makes them sick, it's "meat only". Bone and organs have nutrients in them that dogs need, besides what they get in muscle meat. The pre-made raw like you are feeding is okay because the bone is ground in with the meat.

I can't recall the nutrients that cause the problems but I have it at home - I think it has to do with phosphorous and the correct ratio to calcium or something like that.

Jamiya

10. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Thanks all, I really like this idea but need to actually sit down and learn what to do. I will check out your links Jamiya, plus I know it has been discussed on her ALOT so I will search through the boards!

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

A diet of meat ONLY is deficient in calcium, iodine, and vitamin C, and by itself would give a dog too much phosphorous and protein. An all meat diet fed to an adult dog over a lifetime would eventually cause chronic kidney disease and numerous other problems. An all meat diet in a puppy will cause immediate bone and growth problems, which would surface in as little as two weeks.

Jamiya