1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Question from a paranoid mommy...

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by MyBabyShihPoo, Apr 15, 2004.

1. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Hey there everyone~

Okay, so even though I've been around the block a couple of times when it comes to animals, I have recently become quite paranoid over one little thing. :roll:

Here's the deal:

My two shih-poos both wear "regular" collars at all times (I use the harnesses for walking). I have them wearing the collars b/c they contain their rabies tag that they are supposed to be wearing at all times. Well, lately I have observed, several times now might I add, the two beasts sometimes pulling at the other's collar. So, that got me thinking the other day, "What if I am not home one day, one starts pulling on the other's collar, and chokes the other (to death). :shock:

I assume that the chances of that happening are probably slim, but is it a valid concern, or do I need to check in with a psychologist soon? :0011:

I would greatly appreciate any feedback you guys might have!!!

Thanks in advance! :D

2. moose

moose New Member

hehe, i think paranoid pet owners are the most concerned! (bias here since i am also quite paranoid when it comes to my babies) anyway, i wouldn't be overly concerned with either of them choking -- i think it would take a LOT more than the other tugging on the collar for any serious damage to be done.

since they're small dogs, you could always put cat safety collars on them. these would release if there was serious pressure applied to them. but then what happens if the dog escaped and the collar came off (along with its ID)?? the odds of your dog getting out and this sort of collar coming off are greater, i think, than one of them being strangled while you're not around.

another option: use no collars, but leave their harness on instead. there are lots of comfortable harnesses that you can attach their IDs onto. let us know what you decide to do!

3. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Not trying to alarm you here but my friends dogs were play fighting one day while they were gone and one of the collars got stuck in the other ones teeth. When she got home they were laying on the floor stuck together. If at all possible I try and leave mine without their collars if they are home alone. Its a pain to keep taking them off and putting them on, but they dont mind. I tell them its time to put their necklace back on and they come running!

4. nern

nern New Member

I would get break away collars if your really concerned. I have one for Natalie because her tags kept getting caught on the rug and one day she was stuck and could'nt get up. My mother crates her Poodle and because she was concerned that his collar might get caught on the crate while she was not home she bought him a break away collar. He has escaped out the side door a few times so she likes to keep a collar on him all the time. The break away collar I have does'nt break away so easily that the collar would release and fall off all the time but easily enough so that if your dog was caught on something he/she could break free. I think they're great. I think a harness (as someone else suggested) would be a nice alternative as well.

5. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Breakaways are good .Also you can take them off if they are inside while you are away .I would anyway ,cause it is safer for them .

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Wow, you guys are great...thanks for all the info.!!! :y_the_best:

Y'all have given me a lot to think about! Those stories though...how sad and scary :cry: Those are the kind of things that I worry about happening. But, you guys have given me some great ideas and alternatives...just what I needed!

I appreciate all your help! :D

7. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

also

a good idea to have your pups micro-chipped, then if they did get out without a collar they can still be identified and find their way home.

8. winnie

winnie New Member

you could also get them microchipped so if they ever did get out without their collers, they could have that kind of indentification on them...i think all sheltures and rescues use them now...

9. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Mybabyshih,

I agree! I think that's a VERY "valid" concern!! Either it's valid, or I'm just trying to validate my own paranoia also! hehe... :0008: . I take Bailey's collar off when he's home alone for pretty much the same reason. I don't want him getting caught up on the gate, or a door handle or ANYTHING!! I have visions of him getting caught and hanging himself, so I know DARN WELL that I'd be thinking the same way you think if there were two around. And now, after hearing what some have said.... I think we're both PARANOID and CORRECT!! (Is that even possible?? LOL) :-# :0022:

10. ilovemaltipoos

It is a valid concern .And a breakaway or take off is the best way ,I think .You can get them microchipped too which helps .
    I know a lady that left hers in the bathroom and it got into the tub and somehow got it's collar hung on a facet and jumped out ,poor baby broke its neck .This was a lot of years ago ,not one of my babies ,I would have had a fit .Had one anyway for the poor baby dog .But accidents can and do happen all the time ....It is definitely somthing to worry about and correct .

11. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Once again, thanks everyone for your input! I am also glad to hear that I am not the only one out there who is paranoid about the issue, and that my concern is indeed a valid one!

Many thanks! :D

12. Kristine

Kristine New Member

I too was paranoid about my pup wearing a regular collar. I looked into a cats breakaway collar but they seemed too flimsy and would not work with a leash. I couldnt find one for dogs in the regular pet stores so ordered one online. I got the small and it fits my 10 pound shih tzu mix pup just fine and there is plenty of room if he gets bigger. Here is the website for the type of breakaway collar I got. I didnt actually buy it from that website but that is the brand I got--

http://www.breakawaycollar.com/

13. nern

nern New Member

Kristine: That is the same brand I bought as well. Very nice collars. :wink:

14. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Kristine & Nern~

You two must have read my mind, I was just about to ask where you all found your dog break-away collars. I called all the pet stores around here and they just carry that particular type of collar for cats only. (All the cat collars had bells on them, which I could take off, but I would rather just buy a break-away collar made for dogs and save myself a little bit of work. :wink: )

I will take a look at the website! :y_the_best:

Have a great day!!! :D

15. ilovemaltipoos

Best thing to do ,I agree totally . :eek:

16. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Wow, I'm impressed.... I want ya'll to know that I think I'm going to look into getting the same thing for Bailey. He's microchipped, but a collar with tags is a LOT FASTER than having to wait for your lost dog to be "scanned"

I'm looking into the site too, Mybabyshi :)

Does anyone know if those collars are available in stores, like Petsmart?

17. Kristine

Kristine New Member

They were not available in the petsmart or petco near me.

18. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Monster~ I called just about EVERY pet store in town (which includes Petco and PetsMart), and none of them had the breakaway collars for dogs. I am just going to go ahead and order two online through the web site that Kristine recommended (Thanks Kristine :y_the_best: )!

All the best! :D

19. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Mybabyshih..... okydoky! Keep me posted! I think I'll look into it this weekend also.

Wait, lemme think this out.... :-# Hmmmm... I already ordered a new computer online and "HID THE DELIVERY" :-$ (don't ask!! LOL) from the hubby.... now I wonder if I'm pushing my luck if I order ANOTHER COLLAR AND LEASH for Bailey!! LOL

I got in "trouble" last month when I bought him another leash/harness! (that made the list about 10--ISH) hehe.... COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN now! A kid's gotta have new "bling bling" right!!??? :0011:

20. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Oh Monster, I TOTALLY agree!!! :y_the_best: I am always out shopping for new "stuff" for Mickey & Tigger...there's no such thing as too much stuff for them (at least in my opinion anyway)! :0023:

I think Mickey & Tigger sometimes roll their eyes when they see me walk in the door with a bag full of stuff that I bought from the pet store! :roll:

Happy Shopping! :D

(*I'll let you know how the breakaways work!)