1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Question regarding boston pregnancy

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by bostonlvr, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bostonlvr

bostonlvr New Member

:? Hi I have a boston who is almost a year old. Well she went into her first heat in late march early april, and my male got to her. She is showing all signs of pregnancy, but no puppies as of yet. I really would like to know if anyone has ever had this happen to them. I don't know if it is normal, but I don't want to sound like a fool when I take her to the vet. Also could she possibly had a miscarrige?

Thanks,
    LULU

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

You should have had her to the vet weeks ago. If you'd taken her when she was first bred, the vet could have given her a shot to prevent pregnancy. Not the best thing in the world, but she's really too young to have puppies.

If that were not an option, she should have been vet checked to see if she's pregnant at around 5 weeks post breeding.

Now, if you're right about the timing of when she would have been bred, she's not pregnant and probably never was. The normal gestational period for dogs is around 63-65 days. She'd be waaaay past due to whelp, and she'd be pretty sick, if not dead by now. It's possible for dogs to miscarry, but more probable that she's had a false pregnancy.

False pregnancies are common, and actually quite normal in dogs, due to the way they cycle. Sometimes the symptoms are slight, sometimes they resemble a full blown pregnancy, including milk production and nesting behavior. Most of the time it resolves on it's own, but sometimes treatment is sought if there's a lot of obvious discomfort.

You should have your vet check her over for infection. Pyometria is a serious, life threatening infection of the uterus that often happens in situations like this, and often has no outward symptoms other than an increase in water consumption and urination. It won't resolve on it's own, and surgery is necessary to remove the infected uterus before it kills the dog. Antibiotic treatment is seldom effective and usually not even attempted.

3. Mockingcat

Mockingcat New Member

My advice? Vet, vet, vet, vet, vet!

Bostons are notorious for having birthing problems. You need to be with your vet on this all the way, and you need to admit that this can be a costly and difficult time. In all liklihood, you may have to have a C-section for these puppies.

Like shineillusion said, it's possible that it was a false pregnancy. I would get her spayed if that is the case, and you'll never have to worry about it, and the complications again. Keeping an intact male and female in the same house is asking for trouble, even if they are seperated. Male dogs will do anything to get at a female in heat. They're not bad for doing so, they're following their nature.