1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Questions About My Fish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by ALiii___KAY, Jul 18, 2005.

1. ALiii___KAY

ALiii___KAY New Member

I have a Red Wag Tail Platy, and what I think is an Albino Lyretail Molly (I'm not sure that's what it is, but I think that's it.) Anyway... My Molly had gotten fairly fat, and just started laying around. I figured that she was getting... Well, fat. I was going to move the fish tank yesterday and when my boyfriend went to move it for me he told me that there were babies in there. Sure enough, there was. BUT - There's only one baby. It's tiny, and this morning my Molly died. She was still really big, so I don't know what happened. There's still only one baby in the tank and I don't know what to do with it. Should I take it out and put it in one of those things for the baby? The platy doesn't seem to mind it, but I'm afraid he's going to eat it. Can anyone help?

2. lil shant

lil shant New Member

you should move the babie couse there is a chance the platy will eat the baby. so u should move the baby feed it like babie flakes or crushed flacks and lots of nutrients

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

How old was the molly? if you had bought it recently from a store it could have gotten pregnant in the store, then had the babies grow while in ur tank. Unfortunatly died during birth. Yes you should probly seperate the baby if u dont want it eaten or sucked up by a filter. But since its one baby u could keep it in something as small as a 1g untill its big enough to not be eaten or sucked up.

4. ALiii___KAY

ALiii___KAY New Member

I don't know how old the Molly was, but she had only grown a little bit since I had gotten her. Since I can't leave right now to go and get another tank, what should I keep the baby in for the time being? Oh, and it turns out that there were a few more babies. When I was trying to find the baby earlier, I found some dead ones. :( Anyhow, I don't know what to do for the time being until I can go buy a new tank/filter for the baby. Would it be okay without a filter?

5. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

My platy just had babies as well. She only has a surviving 8, so I have them in a 1 gallon tank that is designed for a betta. it has a light and a filter, and gravel and 2 plants. It cost me 17 dollars at Petco. I've also seen the same thing at K-Mart and Wal-Mart.

If you really cant get the tank, it would be okay without a filter for a short time. Just make sure you remove any uneaten food by hand, which may prove to be difficult with how small everything will be.

Good Luck

6. ALiii___KAY

ALiii___KAY New Member

Thank you! I'm going to run to Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Target/Whatever to try to find something as quick as I can. :D

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

good luck with your new fry

8. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Just dont put any gravel in. use something like a large tupaware or bucket to keep the babies in. So without gravel u can see every piece of uneaten food and take it out. U would have to do water changes as normal. If u have a air pump lying around u can use it to power a small sponge filter which is pefect for babies, a sponge filter is like $4 or less, depending on store.

Good luck.

9. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

whatsize tank do you have