1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

questions about red ear slider turtles

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by ilovemycockatiels, Nov 19, 2005.

1. ilovemycockatiels

ilovemycockatiels New Member

I have heard that the red eared slider, in general is illegal because it can carry salmonella. Then I read online that it is illegal to keep ANY turtle (not only Red Eared Sliders) that is under 4 in. long because they carry salmonella and tend to pass it to little children. If a 4in turtle can carry salmonella, wouldn't an adult be able to also? Does anyone have info on Red Eared Sliders or maybe a link I can read on them??? Any replies are appreciated... Thanks

Ashley

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Here's some info

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=17&cat=1831&articleid=623

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesturtles/a/aquaticturtles.htm

http://www.thefunplace.com/house/pets/sliders.html

Besides turtles, many other reptiles can carry salmonella.

Generally a lot of people that get turtles as pets don't know the first thing about keeping them so they aren't kept in that great of conditions.

Also turtles are sometimes bought as pets for children and (I read on another site, I just can't find it right now) that a lot of children used to try and stick the turtles in their mouths and a large number of them would develop salmonella poisoning. I guess turtles over 4 inches are harder for kids to get in their mouths.

Pretty much with good hygeine there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I don't think it's illegal to own a turtle under 4 inches (if it was no one wouldbe able to breed them in captivity) but I think it's illegal to sell them to other people when they're under 4 inches.

Here in Canada, where I am, it's illegal for pet stores to sell turtles but people can still own them

3. ilovemycockatiels

ilovemycockatiels New Member

Thanks for all the links. I read them all and I understand a lil more why they can pass it easier when they are smaller. I have 2 of them and I have no idea whether they are male or female. I've looked at their claws ans their tails and but to tell if they are male and female I would have to compare them to another gender, you know? I probably confused you... :) I think I have 2 girls... I'm not sure though.

Ashley

4. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi ilovemycockatiels, Male Red Ear Sliders have a slight indentation in the center of the chest plate. Females are smooth (no indentation) across the chest plate.