1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Questions for people with active doggies

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by 4Dogsihave, Jul 29, 2004.

1. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Hi all, as most of you know my newest addition is a border collie I found in a dump. I have never had a super active dog as I have heard these can be. I was wondering what works well for you guys as far as training. I am thinking of signing her up for agility when she is older. Right now she is at about 6 weeks and I want to make sure she gets the proper training she needs to be a great dog. It has been so long since I have had a puppy and want to do all this right. So any tips and training advice would be appreciated. Right now we are having a little biting problem but yelping when she bites seems to work and she will give me a kiss after biting. She is teething and I think for the most part this is her wanting to play. She is playing with my pomeranians so she is getting some play in with other dogs. I just worry about her since she was taken from her mom and liter mates so early. Thanks again guys!

2. oso

oso New Member

HI 3D, WELL JUST A LIL SNIDBIT ON ACTIVE DOGS, OSO'S IS IN PUPPY CLASS AND HIS TRAINER SAYS TO MMAKE SURE THAT THEY GET ENOUGH EXCERCISE. I THOUGHT A WALK WAS ALWAYS GOOD , BUT SHE SAYS A WLK IS NOT ENOUGH , TO AT LEAST TRY TO GET TIME IN TO THROW THE BALL FOR ABOUT TEN MINUTES, AT THE LEAST. SHE SAYS A TIRED DOG IS A GOOD DOG. SHE SAYS USING UP THEIR ENERY IS A GOOD WAY TO KEEP THEM SLOW GOING IN THE HOUSE.

3. lil96

lil96 New Member

yea luthers obedience teacher alwys said a tired dog is a good dog. She also said it is best to train on an empty stomach (so that the dog really wants the treat). I thinkit is hard to make puppies tired, well sort of, they are like go go go go then fall down and go to sleep for 1/2 hour and when they wake up it is time to go again!

4. Nik

Nik New Member

Boy oh Boy do you have your hands full :lol:

Ok, that's my little Border Critter over there. He's so beautiful I can't beleive it.
    When I got him I had people telling me how they're snappy dogs and distructive. I've had neither from him, but I can deffenitly see now how a few times of the 'wrong' training could easily make them into these things.

Floob absolutly craves attention, and I beleive it's because I've been lucky enough to always give it him... on my terms.
    In the early days he had more than one cardboard box to go at a day, plastic bottles, with treats inside to keep him interested, and a little time every day for training, like 15 minutes. I've had no chewed furniture or anything, nothing has had to be replaced.
    It really is about patience with these dogs. One 'mistake' is so hard to break, and they'll never forget.
    Floob ALWAYS wants to please so I found ignoring him or putting him in a 'down stay' for seconds was ample punishment. Firm 'no's' and consistency will be so rewarding. EVERYTHING should be fun, there's nothing better than a wagging tail :)

About the biting thing... Floob had times of the day he'd do it, but the 'down stay' stopped it eventually, he play fights so gentle now, and only with one person as he understands not to with anyone else. I did hold his mouth closed a few times with a firm 'no' but it didn't really have any effect. His command now is "enough" and the second he stops (to make sure he's understood the difference in commands) I follow it with 'find your ball' so he knows play hasn't stopped, just the rough play.

I guess this kinda stuff goes for all dogs, but with Borders they just never stop so knowing a few distractions helps you get 5 minutes peace a day.

Oh, another thing was his Kong. I got him onto one early and put it on the floor then sat down so he knew I wasn't involved with this game, it was upto him to enjoy it... and he does!

One of the things I learned quickly was that if you let them do something once, as a 'one off', they'll never hear the 'one off' bit. Something like letting them chew an old shoe, because it's old, would probably lead to them running off with every shoe on offer and you tearing your hair out, so a stern 'no' would be so much easier... unless you don't much care for shoes and would welcome the leftovers.

Hmm, I can't think of anything else right now but I'll add as I remember bits.

Good Luck!

Duh! I forgot about the walking part :oops:
    Deffenitly what the others have said about a tired dog is a good dog. Floob has 3 walks a day (as I don't have a garden). We go out for an hour in a morning then home for breakfast. That gives me an hour or so where he'll lay around chewing on his bone or sleeping before he's ready to go again. His afternoon walk is always off leash and very energetic. Balls and his frizbee I've found are the best as he just never stops running. With his frizbee he can't predict where it's going to land so he has to pay more attention and it tires him out more. Then just a half hour stint at night where sometimes he'll have a run depending on other dogs around.

5. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

Having her play with other dogs right now is great for her- it will teach her good social skills that she would normally at this age be getting from her littermates and mother. Also, we started rollarblading with our very active dog, and she loves it. Instead of having to go for a walk at our pace, with is much slower than her natural trot, rollarblading allows her to go as fast as she wants, and tires her out a lot more! Just make sure you are a pretty experienced blader (it's much tricker to blade with a dog than by yourself), and have her on a harness to prevent unnecessary pulling on her neck should you or her need to stop suddenly. Good Luck :)

6. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

Sounds like a job for Puppygarten!!....or Puppy Kindergarten some places call it...anyway, pretty much anywhere they teach basic obedience around here, they also have puppy kindergarten classes for the really young ones to start on basic obedience.

7. lil96

lil96 New Member

yea puggleowner, I can't rollerblade(it kills my shins), but I have apair of the athletic roller shoes (not the normal ones) and one day I thought that would be great for Luther, bug mistake. I think I was more warn out than he was, but we only went for about 5 minutes! and I am prety good with roller shoes.

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Thanks for all the adivce everyone!
    Nik floob is a nice looking dog. The only thing I dont like about mine is someone docked her tail so I wont have that long gorgous tail on her. :cry: I have been reading alot about borders and dont want to steer her wrong as I have also heard what great dogs they are if properly trained. I did worry about the destruction part so I bought her a crate. This is the first dog I have put in a crate and I feel a little bad about it but its for her safety and my sanity! Walks will be a little problem for us since there is no where too nice to walk dogs but we do have a nice fenced in yard. I also hope that my husky will get along with her and they can play. Although I dont know if she knows how to play. Long story there she is my lazy baby. But sometimes she looks longingly at my poms as if she wants to play so I am hoping with a dog more her size she can. Ok blabbering now, lol. Thanks again everyone and keep the suggestions coming.

PS Nik with the bottles with treats, did you take a soda bottle and put stuff in it? That sounds like a good idea.

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I would use clicker training - it's nice and positive and fun for both you and the dog. Pat Miller's "The Power of Positive Dog Training" has a nice training program in it.

Some people have Border Collies that are more motivated by toys than treats. One person at agility uses a frisbee as a reward instead of treats. Whenever her dog finishes a run, she throws the frisbee for her a couple of times.

When your pup is a little older, see if she will play frisbee! I always wanted a frisbee dog. You shouldn't make her jump much until she is older, though.

10. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

We already bought the frisbee! I give it to her every chance I can. She seems to like balls too and I have never had a dog that would retrive anything so this is pretty fun! I cant wait till she is old enought to throw it around the yard.