1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Rabbit food ( questions )

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by Bente, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Bente

Bente New Member

Can i give my rabbit the canned type of pineapple, or does it have to be fresh?

Is it ok to give rabits nuts as treats? He seem to love Brazil nuts, but I read somewhere that it can cause indigestion...

Is it true that rabbits can die if they eat wet food?

2. Bente

Bente New Member

Just bumping this up, in case somebody knows the answers :)

I also want to ask if rabbits needs to have their claws clipped?

(This is my first rabbit, so I'm still learning :wink: )

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i found this website it gives a list of safe and none safe foods and stuff that can be given to your rabbit.

What do you mean by wet food as all fruit and vegtables have water in them so they inturn especially when they have been washed are wet.

http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html

4. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

Here's another good rabbit site http://islandgems.net/

And YES, they do need their nails trimmed. When I used to do pet shop work I used to see people bringing their bunnies in to have their nails trimmed and they had waiting so long that the nails had gotten around 3 or 4 inches long and they couldn't even walk right. You should check your bunny's nails on a regular basis, just like a dog or cat...especially if he's on a wire bottom hutch and doesn't get picked up often enough for you to notice easily. They could tear and be painful.

5. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

If you're giving pineapple to prevent or remove hairballs, it needs to be fresh or frozen. Cooking during the canning process destroys the enzyme you need to break up the hair.

6. Bente

Bente New Member

Thanks for great advice everybody :D I'll check out the links as soon as I get home from work.

Charmedagain: I read somewhere that you have to dry vegtables/fruits after you wash them... It said that rabbits could die from eating wet food, but it didn't say why :? Normally I wouldn't believe it, but it was on the Norwegian Animal Wellfare (??) Organizations web page, so I dunno... I do it just to be safe :mrgreen:

Is clipping a rabbits nails kinda like clipping a guinea pigs nails?? I had a guinea pig before, but I don't know how well I'll do with my rabbit since he won't be picked up. I guess I'll just have to be patient :)

7. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

Bente, there's a section on how to trim your rabbit's nails on that link I gave you. Just click on Rabbit Care at the top left and then you'll see a link for trimming nails on the right column. Good luck! :y_the_best: