1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Rat Allergy, Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by DeLaUK, Mar 7, 2005.

1. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Im curious to find out if anyone else has had this experience with any animals. I had always been around rats, had a pet rat, uncles pet store that I worked at years ago, handling the rats, cleaning the cages etc, never had a problem, that was in UK, I moved to California and straight away, the first rat I came in contact with, I swelled up, welts everywhere, asthma attack, stinging eyes and itching like crazy. I took precautions every time I had to handle rats at the hospital, surgery gown, cap and mask, double gloves and the dental glasses to protect my eyes, (much to my co-workers amusement as I looked like Id just stepped off a space ship or something) my daughter also had a pet rat (in California) that didnt bother me as long as he was in another room, he keeled over one day and stopped breathing, not thinking I did mouth to mouth on him and well....luckily I had Pred and Benedryl. So I thought Id just, over the years developed an allergy to them, I went to UK for a few weeks, went to my uncles pet store and thought Id see if Id react to his rats....nothing, no reaction at all, as soon as I got back to US I reacted again, it seems Im only allergic to the rats in US not the English ones and not German ones, does anyone have any idea why? The rat doesnt have to physically be there, it can be a cage that a rat has been in, I thought about the bedding etc but Im fine with mice, hamsters etc. Ive walked into stores before and had to leave within minutes because of this.

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Hmmmmm. That is odd. My first thought was bedding, and i'm not sure I'd completely rule it out. Rats produce more urine than mice or hamsters, so maybe the bedding is getting a slight mold growth or something? Maybe something in the food?

Have you noticed the same problem with different types of rats? White as opposed to hooded or black? Perhaps there's something genetic in the rats here that isn't present in rats in other locations?

Just making stabs in the dark. It's an odd situation.

3. seaecho

seaecho New Member

This is so weird - I also have an allergy to rats! I was developing a rash on my arms after handling my son's pet rat many years ago. Then I started sneezing every time I'd get near the rat. Eventually, I was waking up in the middle of the night, wheezing and gasping for breath. It got worse and worse. I had a bad case of nighttime reflux and also we'd had new carpeting put in recently, so I wasn't sure if the rat was causing the asthma or not. Had to go on Pred for a few weeks. A few times there, I should have called an ambulance - I was in terrible shape from the asthma, and then my heart was racing at 180 or more from the asthma medications! When the rat died of old age, my asthma symptoms mysteriously disappeared! In any case, I stay completely away from rats now. Haven't had a single problem with asthma since. I have two pet guinea pigs, and I sure hope I don't develop an allergy to them - I'd hate to have to get rid of them. I was scared to death when we were thinking of getting one, but so far, nothing has happened. Its the urine (I've read) that we are allergic to, not the dander. Also, the shavings cause allergic reactions in some people. This is very common. Could it be the shavings?

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

My first thought was the bedding, I do have asthma and mold is a big problem, always has been although it never became a problem in UK as the cages were cleaned daily. I have been around and handled mice that use the same bedding and food (a friend had a lot of rats and mice) I was fine still with the mice but not the rats.
    I do keep thinking that it must be something in the urine although I have no idea what could be so different between the ones in the US and the ones in UK, I thought they oringinally came from Europe.
    Good point too shine, I did think for a while that it was only the white rats as they were the first ones I'd handled were I reacted but no...it doesnt make any difference.
    I'll just keep taking precautions when Im in the US....just hope I never develop an allergy to dogs :shock:
    Thanks.

5. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Well, another thought. Perhaps it's food or water related, and the rats metabolize something in the US food or water differently than mice or hamsters? Or it's simply the amount of urine being produced by the rats, combined with something in the US food or water supply?

Again, just stabbing in the dark.