1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

REALLY IMPORTANT!!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Today I found 3 dead convicts in my 55 gallon tank and my oscars look very sick. I did a 50% water change two days ago and I cleaned my filter. Unfortunatley, I don't have my water testing kit so I can't give readings on nitrates, nitrites and all that other stuff. But, my water is still very murky and cloudy even after the water change. I wonder if its because there are too many fish. Even if that was the case, the water wasn't that murky the two weeks I kept the oscars in there. I need some help.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

So how many total fish did you have in there and how big where they all?

You really need to test your water ASAP. When was your last water change before you did the 50% one?

When you cleaned your filter, did you replace the media or run it under tap water?

Did you remember to dechlorinate & make sure the new water was the same temp as the tank water?

Did the dead fish show any signs of injury?

-Chelle

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

Any chance your water company might've added something to the tap? Maybe flushed the lines or something? Just some ideas.

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Tina: I doubt they did that.

T_chelle:
    Size/Amount of fish:
    2x 2'' and 3.5'' oscars
    1x 5-8''ropefish
    approx. 1x 4'', 2x 3'', 5x 1''
    (alot of very big ones died yesterday)

Last water change: about August 5th.

When cleaning the filter, yeah basically it was runned over with tap water.

The water temperature was the same, dechlorinated, conditioned and was at its best (in terms of water quality).

In addition, none of the fish showed any sign of injury.

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

Hmmmm.... that's how I clean my filter too. People say the chlorine kills the bacteria when you do it that way but I've never found that to be true. I'm stumped :? I suggested the water company because that has happened to someone I know before. The water company decided to flush the lines and it wiped out half her tank :(

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

My guess is it's related to poor water parameters. That's an awful lot of messy fish (even though they're small) in that tank and over 3 weeks w/o a water change.

-Chelle

7. Nameless

Nameless New Member

A lot of my fish died at at my post called "D-Day" on what happened.

8. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Nameless, I am guessing that given the close proximity of the 50% water change and cleaning the filters with tap water that you have started a recycle on your tank. The reason that you can't see the whiteish colored bacterial bloom is because of the water being murky from debris still left in the tank. Running the tests would give a clearer indication. At this point the best thing to do is run the tests and let the water settle. You could add Stresszyme or a similar product to help the stressing fish. Or even better, if the tank IS recycling, move the fish to another established tank, and do a fishless cycle on that tank.

9. Nameless

Nameless New Member

What I am planning on doing is to see if I can give away my remaining convicts somewhere else and put my ropefish in another tank and then as you said cycle that tank and then get a new tank for my ropefish and start over again from scratch with this tank.