1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

red zebra cichlids ??

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fish Addict, May 2, 2004.

1. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

do red zebra cichlids get get a stronger colour red because right now mine are more of a orange i just got these today

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm not really sure. I did a search for some pics and all the ones I found were more of an orange. They will probably get to be a reddish orange, but probably not a true red (sort of like a "red" oscar).

-Chelle

3. J_acon

J_acon New Member

Maybe they males are more red, or maybe they only turn red when mating :lol:

4. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

Females are red (dark/light orange really) males are blueish.

Female:
    [​IMG]

Male:
    [​IMG]

Also male (rare but):
    [​IMG]

The Specie scientific name is: Pseudotropheus estherae
    try googleing for more information.

5. J_acon

J_acon New Member

:shock:
    I see, the male is way far from red, unless you count the rare one.

6. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

when do they delovp these colors a mine are still small about this big

7. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

They maybe still too young. Are they kind of yellow/orange now?

I have a few Africans in my tank:
    4 of them are red zebras
    2 are about 2 inch long (vibrant orangey colour).
    2 others are a lil less then one inch long and have kind of vibrant yellow to light orange colour.

AND i discovered today that they are all females (did some online research following your question). I was waiting for them to pair and breed. Now i understand why they didn’t. Going to look for a male tomorrow. And also to ask the guy at the LFS about the 2 males and 2 females he gave me when i first bought them...LOL :oops:

Here is a good link to check out.

P.S.
    They are very dominant and very active. Full of personality “smart” and a real pleasure to watch !
    :-k

8. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

yes they are a yellow orange

9. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

[​IMG]

thats the closest to what i could find

10. J_acon

J_acon New Member

I hate it when the guys at the LFS gives you a male when you asked for a female or the other way around. They are supposed to know the difference but sometimes the customer is more informed than them. Sigh

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

In their defence, it's not always easy to tell since most of the fish they get in are about 1" and sexually dimorphic species generally don't start changing colors until they're about 2". So that just leaves venting which can be difficult with fish that small and someone who doesn't have a lot of practice.

FWIW, I have females named Larry, Hardy, Fred, Elvis, and George and a male named Ginger.

-Chelle

12. J_acon

J_acon New Member

:oops: Now come to think of it, that's true. But why don't they tell us that they can't tell the difference yet?

13. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

well, it depends on the petstore, if they have many animals in the store they could be from a diff. section and just be helping and if it is just a fish store than they might just not be aswell informed.

14. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

well i hope get to see my cichlids breed all i ever have that have had breed are guppies and mollies so i am hoping for my cichlids to breed