1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Remove carbon in filter first?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by drab911, Mar 22, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hi guys.. I was just reading an article about fishless cycling and the instructions said to remove an carbon used in the filter... Is this nessicary and if so how do you do it because the filter is like enclosed.. do you have to tear it open in order for the process to work? Or should it be fine..
    Thanks

2. gravity

gravity New Member

This is a reply to both of your posts. Don't do anything to your cycling tank. Your tank will cycle on its own without you doing anything. Don't remove the filter, don't add ammonia, and don't put any fish in the tank either. Depending on how big your tank is, by the end of this week your tank should be ready for your first group of fish.

If you go around messing with your water, you may just end up screwing everything up. The tank will cycle itself, just be patient. Just let it be.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Um . . . NO.

How is his filter supposed to start developing the beneficial bacteria if there is nothing for them to eat (ie ammonia)? Just letting the tank sit w/o an ammonia source does absolutely nothing.

-Chelle

4. drab911

drab911 New Member

I agree chelle.. but could you please ansewer my original question... Does the carbon hurt anything?

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

No, carbon won't remove the ammonia so I don't believe leaving it in will hurt anything.

-Chelle

6. drab911

drab911 New Member

Thanks a lot! I feel like im brewing a stew over here.. all the bubbles the heat mmm cant wait for fish and plants :)