1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Rene just got diagnosed with Pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by vene, Jan 13, 2005.

1. vene

vene New Member

Sorry folks for not posting in the last couple of days. Just had a small crisis. Rene was puking up "beef broth" looking material for a day. The last straw was when she puked up purple looking material. I suspected blood. Sure enough when I dabed the carpet with a paper towel, there were lots of pink stuff. Needless to say, I called Rene's vet clinic and rushed her there. They said she needed x-rays to rule out obstruction and anti-inflammatory meds. Of course I said yes. I didn't care about the vet bill (close to $600), I just wanted my healthy Rene back. After leaving Rene with the vet, I couldn't concentrate on anything. :m13: They told me I'd have to wait 2 hours and they'd call me with the results. After what seemed like eons, Dr. Neuman (not Rene's regular vet) called with the results. The CBC, chem profile, enzymes, etc. came back normal. But the x-rays showed a lot of gas in a section where the stomach empties into the small intestine which was indicative of pancreatitis with no signs of obstruction (thank goodness, kitties and doggies are known to die from obstruction- intestinal perferation and so forth). Right now Rene is on antibiotics, and Pepsid. She's acting very normal- eats fine and is going to the bathroom and most importantly, she's NOT puking anymore! :eek: As part of the treatment, she was given subcutaneous fluids, but not IV drip. I wonder why? BTW, one of the vet techs was in love with Rene. She kept petting and hugging her and saying her fur is so soft like a rabbit's. :roll: Normally, sedation was needed for the procedures but it wasn't necessary because she was such a good little girl. :m10: I'm so relieved that Rene is okay. Phew! :mrgreen: Now to catch up on some z's and pillow making. Need one for tomorrow and one for Sat. 8)

2. Bente

Bente New Member

Oh, poor Rene! I'm so glad she is doing fine :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Give her a big hug from me and Kyrre!

3. i_love_my_ollie

i_love_my_ollie New Member

poor thin *hugs* form me and ollie

4. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

:kiss_heart: :kiss_heart: SOOOO glad u are BOTH feeling better!

5. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Poor Rene! I'm glad she's doing better. What a rough week you had! Hugs to both of you! :love_y_t_much:

6. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

arwww...huge hugs to you both. I'm glad to hear that Rene is doing better. Now YOU go get some much needed rest.

7. pomlover

pomlover New Member

Sorry to hear about Rene, but glad to know that she is getting better.

8. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Poor Rene! I hope she recovers quickly. I bet that was a heck of a scare for you!

9. fridaylove

fridaylove New Member

Vene....glad to hear that Rene is doing better, such a scare! I hope Rene continues to do better and better and better :) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. vene

vene New Member

:qm1: everyone! :love_y_t_much: Rene is doing much better today. She only puked once. I hope it's the last of it. It's definitely better than 10 pukes the other day. :mrgreen: She will be 2 in April so she's definitely too young to be sick. This is her today. :qm4: She's as active as ever! :eek:

11. nern

nern New Member

I'm so glad to hear that Rene is okay and is doing better today. :eek:

12. Michelle Wachniak

Michelle Wachniak New Member

Big hugs and huge vibes to both you and Rene!!! Please take care!!

13. vene

vene New Member

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts again everyone! Rene is 100% better and is as snuggly and playful as ever. She acts like she was never sick. :mrgreen: :eek: :eek: :eek: Has anyone's kitty ever had pancreatitis? And if so, how bad was it?

14. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

Always good to hear good news!

So glad she is well and recovering! :D

15. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I am glad to hear she is recovering nicely. I didnt know cats got pancreatitis, my dog just went thru that and spent 3 days at the vet, they said it usually caused by eating large amoutns of fatty foods like gettting into the trash

16. vene

vene New Member

Thank you Deb and Honeybears. Honeybears, I'm sorry your baby had to stay at the vet for 3 days. Rene's foods are not very fattening and she doesn't eat out of the garbage. I wonder if it's possible for her to have gallstone/ gallbladder attack? :0011: Lynnhaz just told me that Bengals are more prone to sensitive tummies. :( I'm swearing off fish treats for Rene. She's starting to go back to licking dirty water off the sink. Her Drinkwell fountain is no longer effective and I'm ditching it through ebay. :mrgreen: I wonder if drinking sink water can give her pancreatitis? :?

17. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

I'm very relieved to know she is doing fine, Vene. Phew! :D Give here a scratch under the chin for me. She's such a pretty girl and she was so good at the vet's.

18. vene

vene New Member

Thank you Chessmind. Here's Rene today kneading on her latest pillow:

[​IMG]

Notice the big furpatch missing on her neck? I wonder if they shaved her there to draw blood and administer meds? She looks so funny.

19. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

That's a good pic of her and the pillow. All of the cats sure seem to love those pillows. :D

20. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I think Vene puts some sort of addictive substance in the stuffing...